2001 GTX 951 fast idle (or out of control throttle)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Bred

Hello, I just bought a few weeks ago a 2001 SeaDoo GTX 95 (107 hrs on it). When I bought this it was told to me that it ran great with no problems and that he just had it in the water. Well lets just start right off the bat that I didn't start it before I took it home (my bad), but I didn't want to start it while it was out of the water (I'm new but learning fast). Long story short got it home, would not start. Solenoid was at first clicking and it would not start. - it had the wrong size battery in it, so I replaced it with a larger correct sized battery. Solenoid now stopped clicking but instead just hummed. Generally that means a locked up starter, ordered one, bench tested old one (bad and seized up), bench tested new one, ran with no issues (as it should). Now the GTX turns over with no problem. --- Here's the problem. I was told the oil pump does not work so the gas is premixed 50;1, not a problem (found the linkage not connected - will be fixing this over the winter). I did get it running, at first used to choke to start it, and it idled fine for a minute, gave it a little gas and it revved up and down when I let up on the throttle lever. Did this again, and now the engine seems like it went max throttle and stayed there. I let go of the throttle and still stayed full throttle, hit the off button and it did not shut off, pulled the key, finally shut down. Tried it again, full throttle again without me doing anything, eventually ran over and shut gas off. - this is where I am at the moment. I am planning of doing this - spraying down all the linkage, gas tank has less than a gallon in it so I am going to add at least 2 or 3 gallons more, and going to put all air tubing back on the front of the carbs before I start it up again (and I do not see any vacumm lines off that I can see - any i should look for?). And it appears as though the cable from the throttle handle works, and does not look like carb linkage is binding. - going to look for an idle set screw and see if this is turned up. Thanks and sorry this is so long.

The idle screw is located on the forward top section of the carbs. You should make sure that the throttle cable has slack in it too. If the cable is too tight it will rev out of control or "run-away". Best thing to do when this happens is pull the choke and it should cut it off. The throttle cable is held with 2 nuts on the forward bottom carb or the "mag" carb as it is commonly referred to here.

This is very common on the 951, turn down the idle a little and don’t rev it out of the water.

The idle screw is located on the forward top section of the carbs. You should make sure that the throttle cable has slack in it too. If the cable is too tight it will rev out of control or "run-away". Best thing to do when this happens is pull the choke and it should cut it off. The throttle cable is held with 2 nuts on the forward bottom carb or the "mag" carb as it is commonly referred to here.

Thank you for commenting. I did locate the idle screw (once I started getting into this you realize its like any other 2 stroke motor, so I am getting up to speed quickly). Which I have turned down, but in all truthfulness have not had the chance to fully check everything once I did. The throttle cable does have just the right amount of slack in it, and seems very responsive and does not appear to be sticking. I soon realized as in your response to simply kill it by pulling the choke and basically smothering it to death. - thanks though for the tip, sometimes you forget the simple things. Thank you again for your comments. AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back