2001 Challenger 2000 with 240 EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewroell

Hello All, new to this hope you guys can help me out. I have a 2001 challenger 2000 with the 240 EFI engine (model #S240J30YS) I have been having problems with it the last 2 years. The butterfly valves in the throttle body got corroded and one stuck in the open position causeing flames to back up into the TB warping one of the shafts. A new throttle body is over 4 grand and that is more than I payed for the boat so that's not an option. I rebuilt the Throttle body and it was runing but idled high and died when you brought the throttle up past 3500 RPM. I adjusted the screw on the lower shaft of the throttle body and now it won't even idle. No one here in Hawaii will work on the engine for some reason. Does anyone know if the NON EFI engine will fit in this boat? I know it is less powerfull but I don't need to go 50 MPH as all I use it for is wakeboarding and cruising to the sandbar. If anyone knows where I can get another engine that will fit could you let me know?? Any help will be Greatly appreciated. Also I would not suggest this boat for anyone especially if it's in salt water. If it had a simpler engine I would keep it for sure, this thing is a blast when it works.

Hi Mathew i'm the new owner of your boat...unfortunatly. :banghead:
I am trying to figure out as well what is up with the boat and why the idle is so high. I found the TPS is one way of lowering the RPMS however then the boat smokes like crazy. The other way of lowering the idle is by pulling on the spark advance lever but then it also runs rough. I am stuck as to what to do next. The boat is runing at 4000rpms. If anyone can give me an idea what to check next. Also Mathew if you would be kind enough to contact me here or post what has been fixed or done to the boat so i dont do the same again. Is the throttle bodies rebuilt properly and everything put back the way its supposed. Any help guys would be helpful.

OK just an update. Got the boat to idle lower by adjusting the TPS sensor, it was installed the wrong way before that is why it idled high. Now im not 100% sure i got tps sensor fully in tune with the engine as it still idles around 1400. Non the less i took it out in the water to see how it would run under load. Everything seems there is no heek-ups or bogging but the boat still has little excessive smoke and and wont go past 5200-5400 rpms and speedo shows it max at 40mph. It is also slow accelerating but im not 100% sure how quick they are supposed to jump in WOT.

My question to you guys is how do i Install the the TPS sensor so its dialed in right. Can someone give me a step by step process the service manual is not too helpful. Once it out how do i put it in. My TPS seem to need to be inserted at WOT then put into idle and then fine tuned. Is that how it goes in or just needs to be aligned when not spring loaded. Also do your wires coming out of the TPS face forward of the boat or back of the boat. Can you guys help me with TPS install proccedure. Much Mahalos

It's Fixed!!!!

Ok forgot to post an update and thank to everyone that helped, TPS sensor is properly installed now, idles great, excessive smoke was due to once again prior improper install of a oil pump (lever was reversed causing the pump to think its throttle on the whole time and mixing it rich). The boat is so much fun and fast!!!

There is still the weird issue of not wanting to start when warm randomly. However i found a solution for that as well, not a fix just a solution to start it up again if it happens... I will post this solution to this forum so people don't get stuck out there>

P.S.
The boat now looks amazing as well with a custom paint job and new interior.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back