2001 Challenger 2000 240 "starting issues"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

namlek

Have my 2001 challenger 2000 240 in a quick launch facility in SW Florida and service is tough to come by. There is a (1) mechanic who the marina recommends, but he is usually way too busy to get to me quick and since I'm only in FL for a few months every winter it can be a real drag to have the boat not running for weeks at a time. Boat ran great for the first few seasons with a few issues along the way. Rebuilt "fuel rails", and a few other things I can't recall right now. Last year it all of sudden started having starting problems. It would crank fine but not "catch". I had noticed previously that on occasion I'd turn the key and get nothing, but as soon as I tried again it would start so I assumed I'd eventually need a starter. I replaced the starter. Didn't seem to help. Sometimes I'd try for 20 minutes to half an hour before it would go (one time burning out a new starter) I managed to use the boat a few times but couldn't really enjoy it cause I was afraid to shut it off when out on the water. At the end of the season I pulled it out and brought it to a local sea-Doo dealer who hesitantly agreed to work on it. That was April '15. I stayed in touch with their shop off and on throughout last spring and summer while they performed "routine" service and addressed the starting issue. Replaced fuel pump, fly wheel, engine control module, and after paying over $3000 finally got it back in early November. Btw they had "subbed" out the repairs to a Mercury dealer after their initial replacement of the fore mentioned items didn't seem to solve the problem. The first day it ran ok although it had to be jump started due to a dead battery. Next day it had to be jumped again but I took it out anyway because I had a fully charged good size jump box on board. It ran rough and wouldn't go to the point where I thought perhaps I'd got something sucked up in the intake, but eventually it went,but still not at full power. Ran it for awhile and then shut it off and floated around for a couple of hours. When I tried to leave it wouldn't start with or without the jump box and actually sounded exactly like it had prior to the $3000 plus servicing. Had to be towed in and although I immediately replaced the battery it still wouldn't go. Pulled it back out of the water and returned it to the dealer who said it needed a starter (despite me telling them that it cranked fine ) They replaced the starter (+ $300) and said it now started fine , but ran rough. They took it back to the Merc dealer who now says they have it running (+$1200) and replaced a part (a little gas tank where the fuel goes before going to the injectors?) or something , but said it still would need a "throttle positioning sensor" (I think I'm getting that right?) and although it'd only be a 10 minute job the sensor is just shy of $700. They said the engine would eventually foul the plugs w/o the new sensor. I told the Sea-Doo dealer definitely not and that I hadn't expected to spend ANY money after only using the boat for 2-3 hrs. since the original $3300 (service) What bothers me most is that the boat ran great when I dropped it off except for the problems starting. BTW along the way they tested cylinders and there is no problems indicated with "the motor".Although I'm still not convinced they've fixed the original starting issue (I'd already replaced the starter once myself and even if the battery was going bad I always had the jump box on board)Im going to use the boat and I always keep extra plugs on the boat anyway if the plugs load up. (After all it is a 2 stroke!)I'm not sure if I'm looking for suggestions or just sharing a tale of whoa?! Btw I read somewhere in the forum that Mercury dealers will still work on these boats. Not true in my part of the world. Jet dealers told me they wouldn't work on Mercury and Mercury dealers told me they wouldn't work on Jet boats. It's not easy.

Our resident expert on he Merc engines is on a business trip. I'll ping him and he will read this when he can. [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]

OK... I'm on it.

I need to read it a couple more times to absorb everything, but I need to get a little work done this morning... so give me a couple more hours, and I'll give a real response.

SOrry for the long delay on this, but my new job is kicking my butt.

OK..........

Some 240's have a starting issue. It's a big complant where guys show up here. BUT... you have a couple Jack-off dealers that are just making you spend WAY too much money. For the $$$ you put out... you could have had a new engine. Anyway... let's get to it.

1) A big contributor to a hard start is a bad blower fan. I know, sounds simple, but if I'm sitting in the water... and I don't run my blower for 4~5 min first... it will crank, pop... and the starter will drop out, and ever "Start". If I do run it... it will fire-up with just a touch of the key.

2) The port side temp sender. When that goes bad... it is a bastard to start. AND... when it does start... it will be very smoky at low RPM's... and will drink WAY more fuel than it should. (fouling plugs is a side effect)

3) The TPS. It's not cheap... but it's not $700. You can find them for under $500. AND... if you want to do it yourself... you can get the TPS from the OLD EFI outboard engines, and change the plug. You can normally find for less than $200 new. (look on ebay)

4) Fuel pressure. Just check it. The "Little metal tank" you were talking about is the vapor tank. There's no reason to replace the entire unit. All the internal parts are available, so a real shop would have replaced what was wrong. (not the unit)

Finally... a real Mercy shop can simply plug in a DDT unit, and read the senders, to find out where the issue is. SO I would be PISSED OFF, with shops that can't correctly diagnose the issue.

Do yourself a favor. Buy the manual, and we can help you save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. As long as you are sending it to a shop... you are at the mercy of people who don't know what they are working on, and paying more for a part than it's really worth. (FYI, they charge 30% over street price for the parts, plus +$100 labor. Get's expensive quick)

Mercury mechanic came out today and said its the idler box? Sound fishy?

Yes... since there isn't a part called the "Idler Box". That's not even a slang term for anything.

BUT... since this isn't your thread... and I have no idea what's wrong with your boat... I can't say what may be wrong. So, start your own thread, and let me know what's going on, and we may be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back