2000 XPL Trouble

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

campinitos

I recently took my 2000 XP Limited out on the lake, which ran amazing for about an hour, and then all of a sudden I saw that the spedo kept flickering, then it went to zero despite me going flat out.

About 10 mins later the engine then seemed to sound a little different, like it was losing power, before it cut out completely. I managed to restart it but it sounded like a bag of crap so I took it out of the water. I tried to restart it out of the water but it wasn't having it. Even turning over it sounded different than before. I've not done anything on it yet because I don't want to take something apart if it doesn't need it - so I was wondering if anyone had encountered the same problem?

Any help or advice would be amazing!

Cheers guys:cheers:

pull the spark plugs, see if anythings visible on them, if not, do compression test.

Ok so I took out the spark plugs, one was fine, the other looked pretty worn and the end of the plug the elecrode had bent over and was touching the centre of the plug.

Is it normal for this to happen? I'm going to replace the plugs to see if that fixes the problem.

Cheers:cheers:

something came loose, within the motor, and stuck the plug. Need to remove head, i'm sure you'll find "the start" of your answers.

Ok, that doesn't sound good. Is this a big job for a novice?

Would it be possible to turn over the engine with the spark plugs removed to see if any debris comes out before I remove the head, or could I use some sort of top end type cleaner to dissolve any carbon deposits (if that's what it is?)

Also is is necessary to remove the engine if I need to remove the head?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be possible to turn over the engine with the spark plugs removed to see if any debris comes out before I remove the head, or could I use some sort of top end type cleaner to dissolve any carbon deposits (if that's what it is?)

Also is is necessary to remove the engine if I need to remove the head?

Oh no!!!:(

Ok, I removed the head and I can see that the piston towards the back of the boat is totally screwed! I at first thought that there was gravel in the chamber, but upon closer inspection I noticed that it was bits of the top of the piston, literally like little stones size metal pieces. The cylinder chamber is scored, thankfully not very deep, so it could be rebored, but at the moment the piston is completely seized in the cylinder. I've tried freeing it with a rubber mallet and lots of WD40, but it looks almost welded to the side. I don't really want to take a chisel to it because I don't want anything falling into the crank below, but it's my guess there is already something sinister under there anyway.

Does anyone have any tips for freeing the piston so I can remove the read of the cylinder?

Also - what could cause this to happen? The cylinder and piston toward the front of the boat appear fine. Obviously, when I address the issue, I don't want it to happen again due to something I have overlooked.

Cheers for any advice

replace the grey fuel lines and go thru carbs. Possible, your oil injection clogged up as well.

Need to pull motor. Start with removing the carbs, so yuo got access to loosening up the pipe from manifold. Probably need to remove oil tank..etc for more room, and then snorkel out pipe, then remove motor.

Being a 951, theres probably a crap load of debris down underneath, not allowing the piston to move at all. Theres o-rings around the studs of the head bolts, so you'll need to lift the cylinder and push back down, quite a few times, to "roll" the o-rings up the studs, to remove them, then the cylinder will come right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back