2000 Sportster 1800 still pulling hard to the left. Anybody out there?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

I've made several adjustments to the ride plate with no perceivable difference. The running gear is all in pristine condition and the nozzle is aimed directly aft.

I'm developing a theory that it might have something to do with a weight imbalance. At rest, the boat has a distinct starboard list. It's even worse this year because I replaced a 30-pound starting battery with a 65 pound deep cycle. Add to that 100 pounds of fuel sloshed to the starboard side and me in the driver seat at 225 lb.
Is it possible an extreme starboard list would cause the boat to begin a left turn?
I have to hold the wheel at 3 o clock and maintain a good amount of force to keep the boat driving straight. As I release pressure on the Wheel, the boat begins a left turn.
Anybody?

I could be wrong, but a Starboard List (Leaning to the Right side) would cause it to turn right.

If your boat is turning to the Port side (left), then the weight in the drivers side would actually counter that. I noticed that my weight would cause this, only at slow speed. Once on plane, my weight didn't seem to cause much list at all.

Good luck,

Did you check the steering cable? It might be collapsing under load. Stator finns look good? I had big chunks taken out of mine and after repair my pull was vastly improved.

Mine is exactly as you describe too. After reading this forum for a long time, i would agree with the advice you've been presented...the steering cable & stator vanes. My stator is new, but I am guessing this winter will be the time for a new cable.
I adjusted my trim tab to asymmetrical, it helped, but this year is much worse than last...cable is my bet. If you replace yours, please post your results.

The stator vanes are perfect. I'm at a complete loss here. When you say I should check to see if the steering cable is collapsing, what exactly, in detail, should I be looking for?
Why would a collapsing steering cable make the boat pull hard left?

The cable is collapsing or bending within the sheath is the theory & not providing a "hard" connection. I've read several posts where this has improved the steering & it should be fairly inexpensive. Again, I havent tried it myself though.

The stator vanes are perfect. I'm at a complete loss here. When you say I should check to see if the steering cable is collapsing, what exactly, in detail, should I be looking for?
Why would a collapsing steering cable make the boat pull hard left?
Here is a link that I used when I was fixing mine. (I ended up replacing my cable, as it was rotted on both ends) The post is about not being able to turn right but gives great info:
2001 utopia not turning right.

If its not your cable and everything in your pump looks good (stator, ring, impeller, drive shaft) it might also be your pump is not sitting square in the tunnel.

Or your OP is true and the weight distribution is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back