2000 Speedster Merc vs 2004 Sportster 4 Tec?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GemRock

Hello All,

I am trying to decide whether to get a 2000 Speedster with a 240 hp Merc, or a 2004 Sportster with a 155 hp 4 tec. The difference in hp is not a big issue for me; 155 in the smaller boat should be plenty while 240 in the bigger boat would be a nice, but not a necessary bonus. I'm more concerned about reliability, repair costs, ease of operation - practical issues more than anything.

Your thoughts and experience will be much appreciated!

If you buy the Mercury be certain you know a good Mercury mechanic. While it is considered a reliable outboard engine in the industry, I'm told if major repairs are required it can very very expensive to replace. I think with the 4-tec, you'll get a quieter, cleaner, more efficient engine that is closed loop cooled.

Craig

Thank you very much for this Craig ... fits with the message I've got elsewhere that getting the Merc engine repaired can be a daunting task. Can you tell me why the closed loop cooling system is an advantage?

The Mercs are cool because of the power… but like it was said… VERY expensive to replace. (if you can find the parts) expensive enough, that if I had one, and it gave up… I would probably just part out the boat. Oh… and the pump parts are expensive too. I’ve seen used pumps go for $1000 on eBay, and they weren’t even in good shape!!! The direct drive boats use the same parts as the new sit down Doo’s… so ebay parts are easy. Not super cheap… but the price tag is at the point where you can fix the boat without braking the bank.

Just my two cents.

not the Merc!!

I researched this extensively before I bought my speedster (4tec sc) and everyone who had Merc experience said the same thing-STAY FAR AWAY!! they break alot and are very expensive to fix.

My 4tec sc runs great and has had no problems yet with one season on a used set of engines.

Good luck!

Coolant

Gem,

With a close loop cooling system, just like your car, it uses coolant/antifreeze in the engine instead of raw sea water. Not that big of a deal if you boat in lakes and rivers but if you boat in salt water you better flush extensively or your gonna ruin your engine. In addition, no worries about sucking up debris that can clog stuff and with a closed loop system the engine can run at more consistent temps.

Just remember the exhaust manifold is cooled with raw water so a flush precedure is still required but your only flushing the exhaust.

Craig

Thank you very much for this Craig ... fits with the message I've got elsewhere that getting the Merc engine repaired can be a daunting task. Can you tell me why the closed loop cooling system is an advantage?

Thank you all for your input!! I'm off to buy a 2003-4 sportster 4 Tec!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup i though the same thing. I was looking toget the 240merc seadoo but went with a 155hp sportster 150 and im glad i did :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back