2000 Seadoo Speedster Radio Power Wire Wont Turn On

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgsteinhart1s

Hello all,

I recently swapped out the radio on my boat and it seems as if Im getting no power from the power wires from the old stereo wires. I tried hooking up the power wire to the 12v outlet and the radio came on with no problems. There is a few extra hookups on my fuse block and none of them seem to be working either. I checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. The blower and Nav lights are working just fine. When I hit the horn switch it will go for a second and shut off, almost seems like Im blowing the fuse when I hit it, but still same thing no blown fuse. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be. I have connected both ground terminals to the battery. Not sure what to do next.

Ok,, looked up the schematics.

The radio basically has a ground and a hot wire. In actuallity it has two hot wires but they are wired together once the power passes through the fuse, thus two wires but fed from the same source. I would think the newer radios that want/need a memory wire would have a separate wire that is hot all the times for memory and clock function.

At any rate, the hot wire comes from the battery switch on the switched side. This means that the radio would not be powered up until the battery switch is activated (turned to the correct position). Many of the fuses are fed this way.

So,,, I guessing you do not have the battery switch turned on?????

The battery is turned on and I even had it tested as well. Battery is good. I am using the harness that was on the stock radio and using the power and ground wire from it. Ground wire is good but no power.

The picture is a bit light, but it shows a fuse between the battery switch and the fuse(s) that feed the radio. I would go to the battery switch and trace the wires, they should run into a fuse. Check the fuse...

209.jpg

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thanks. I will take a look by the battery. I know the fuse in the block underneath the storage compartment is still good. Hopefully that's the reason why some of the accessory hookups aren't working as well.

Awesome thanks. I will take a look by the battery. I know the fuse in the block underneath the storage compartment is still good. Hopefully that's the reason why some of the accessory hookups aren't working as well.

It would make sense that the enroute fuse is the issue...

So both fuses by the battery are good. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Time for some testing...

Get a meter, check for voltage coming out of the battery switch, then just before the fuse(s) you found, then just past them, then at the fuse box where the radio fuses are. Lets figure out where you are losing the voltage...

im a little late on this, but if it were me, id just run a new wire. its really easy.

Ended up running the new wire and its up and running! Thanks for the help! I could start a new forum on this but does anyone know a good lock to replace the ones on the storage compartments?

Hopefully your new power wire has an appropriately sized fuse device as near the power source as possible, usually within several inches, otherwise a chafed wire can cause a fire and burn your boat down. The resin in fiberglass burns surprisingly well once it gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back