2000 Sea Doo Challenger 2000 w/ Mercury v6 240hp EFI - wont run when wet

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tremmert

Hello,
I just purchased a 2000 Sea Doo Challenger 2000 w/ Mercury v6 240hp EFI that didnt run. The original owner didnt know much about the boat, except that it hasnt ran for a couple years. I replaced both fuel filters, installed a new battery, added new fuel (mixed with the old), and now the motor starts up. It runs rough, but at least it runs...

Yesterday, I decided to back it into the water to see if the jet pump actually works... I started the boat, it ran very rough for about 3-4 seconds, then died. I couldn't start it back up after that.

Today, I went to the storage unit to try starting the boat. Started on the first try! I killed it, waited a couple minutes, then tried again. Starts just fine. So, I took it back to the water, it started on the first try but then died. I couldnt start it after that.

I crank the motor and crank the motor, and I dont hear any sound indicating that it is trying to start.

Any thoughts as to why this might occur?

Tommy

EDIT -- Today I ran out to the boat, and it started right up (at the storage unit). Ran rough, but it did start. I found a Mercury v6 240hp EFI manual, but I guess it was for a newer motor than mine. This one had an alternator, and mine doesnt. Anyway, I was going to test each coil, but the manual didnt match up. Same with the crank position sensor (couldnt find) and the TPS (couldnt find).

I was, however, able to test the fuel pressure, and it came out to 31psi. I guess that is a little low. Manual is saying 41-45psi. It recommends I check the "final filter" which I also, couldnt find... Looks like I will be returning tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just completed the compression test, and here are the results: 130, 0, 130, 120, 120, 110.

I think that might be my problem. Man that sucks. Do you know how difficult it is to rebuild this engine? Or should I just try and sell it as-is?

Thoughts?

Crowley Marine for a rebuilt engine. money well spent, and it has a 1 year warranty.

engine removal is about 2 hrs. with a hoist. plan on 8hrs to clean/check + transfer all the components from the old engine to the new engine. I replaced my reeds with single stage Chris Carson Reeds, and had my fuel injectors cleaned / flow matched by Brucato FIS. Make sure you bypass the oil injection during the rebuild - premix the oil with the gas and you will get many years out of the new engine.

early 2000's C2K Challenger with a new engine & decent interior is worth about $10k - $11k. Stepping up to a used 'newer style' jetboat (deeper V-hull & (2) 4-stroke engines) will cost you about $20k. Example is a 2005+ Yamaha SX230 or SX240.

My vote would be to buy the rebuilt engine, install it yourself so you know how it works, and then enjoy a great jetboat for a relatively low cost (compared to the newer style jetboats).

I pulled the heads off to further inspect the situation. It looks like the sleeves are in good shape, and there are no cracks. I am thinking about removing the piston, honing out the cylinder, and just replacing it with a stock sized piston. Anyone know if this is possible on this motor without removing it from the boat?

I would "assume" that the bottom half of the engine would open up to expose the crank. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back