2000 gtx Millennium Edition

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you guys know by now I don't pay more then 250.00 for a ski. With that said, I just picked up another ski. It's a 2000 gtx with the silver 951. Completely foreign to me.

Issues :
Broken rod. Verified by moving crank with screwdriver in pto cylinder. It didn't move.

Stopped at that point and wanted some direction.

171.jpg

172.jpg

If you look close enough, the top end has been replaced. Even a closer look, you can see bubbles in the oil lines. Info from the seller said it stopped in the middle of the lake. New top end, bubbles in oil lines= broken rod/seized piston.
This will be a winter project.
Do the rebuild myself or sbt this?
M

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my 951. With a fresh engine including crank and balancer you will have a great ski as long as you....
1. Keep the water out of it.
2. Feed it good oil.
3. Fog after every ride.

Yep. I need to do that. I have not gotten the mirror out yet.
I really appreciate yalls experience with this ski. 787, 657x, 720, I have lots of knowledge. Reeds, not so much. Guess I will yank this out and dig in. Hands on is the best way.
If I could do the Florida ride, I would. Just bad timing. Raised in Orlando and visit almost every other year.

I like my 951. With a fresh engine including crank and balancer you will have a great ski as long as you....
1. Keep the water out of it.
2. Feed it good oil.
3. Fog after every ride.

What kind of oil do you use?

And fogging thru the fog port on the airbox? New to this and just googled how to fog these machines

I prefer the Seadoo XPS full synthetic.
Only the DI and 2002 carbed ones have the fog fitting. On the 2001 and older carbed ones I pull the airbox back and fog with a piece of the oil injection tubing.

For those that don't fog after every ride..........here is why you should. Look at the moisture on the top on the piston. This is a buddies 951 he just tore down. It ran a week ago but lost power, comp test came back unhappy. Look to the left, check the port web. No es bueno. Ski has 196 hours on it.

173.jpg

For some reason the 951's get a lot of moisture in them after running. The DI's are said to be even worse.

You spray it through the oil injection line?

No he said he uses a piece of oil injection tubing to direct the fogging oil into intake of the 951. We have a 951 in our fleet of skis and it has the fogging port on intake. Makes it easy to fog. I would think taking intake airbox off and on would be a pain. If you don't have intake with fog port... get a good used one! Just a thought...

The carbed airbox with the injection port is hard to find as it was only made one year. You can use a DI box and plug the 2 additional holes.
Honestly now that I have been doing it for a season I can pull the airbox back and fog in less than 5 minutes and no tools involved.
I installed about 6" of the 3/32" oil injection line on the end of the straw that came with the fogging oil and taped the straw to the can nozzle so it can't pop off.

sorry for the bad pic in the last post. i tried to delete the post or picture and couldn't figure out how to do either as i didn't see a delete option. anyway here is a better picture.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 86
I have the same air box on mine. Took me awhile to get it off the first time. Good idea with the hose. Would shooting the fogging oil thru spark plug holes be suffice also?

Through the spark plugs doesn't fog the crank and rod bearings. Only the cylinders.

The DI box pictured has two holes that need to be plugged when used on a carbed ski.

Had a feeling of this. Now you need to add up what fixing it is going to cost. If it has a really nice exterior it may be worth fixing

Me too. I couldn't feel any holes when I was feeling around and thought I got lucky. Not!

Upon closer inspection, before I yanked engine, I seen the oil pump bleeder screw leaking and bubbles in the small injector lines. Also a kink in the mag side line.
This engine has about half a tank of fuel break in time on it. Gaskets are still fresh and plugs look lean.
Has the blue effing oil in the oil tank.

SMH.

Bad oil, poor bleeding and probably dirty carbs killed it.
They probably rebuilt it and never found the cause of the first engine failure.

I was looking at the cylinders and they are wasted also. Looks like I can save the rave valve caps and retainer wires.
Lol.
Actually, the ski is in decent shape, and I have a local I can source an engine from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back