2000 Seadoo GTX Millennium Edition

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

outdoorgrl

Hello, I am new to the forum, and am looking at purchasing my first set of PWC and wondered if it is a "good buy" and any pro's or con's I should be aware of before making the transaction final. The seller has two 2000 Seadoo GTX Millennium Edition skis for sale with a two place trailer for $6500. Both skis come with a cover also. I have done research but of course get a mix of opinions on the 951 and Limited editions in general, so am hoping those with more knowledge than myself can help me determine if I should buy or walk away. Both skis have had both the engine and carbs rebuilt, one 2 years ago and one last year, as well as having new batteries and wear ring this summer. They have always been stored in a garage, always winterized and has been compression tested. They are willing to do compression testing on site for me as well as let us take them out on the water for a test drive. Rebuilds were done by the current owner. Any and all thought and opinions welcome....again, please keep in mind, I am new to PWC and this forum. (I have always owned boats, and have played on PWC, but never owned) If this isn't a good buy or if I should stay away from the 951 models, please let me know what you would recommend instead. Thanks in advance!

Miki is dead on,..the 951 motor is very hard to work on,,,and very sensitive to water intrusion,,,you would be doing yourself a huge favour to avoid this purchase.

Thank you so much for the info, greatly appreciated. I will keep looking. I saw someone in a thread also say to avoid the RFI and DI models…would you agree?

Thank you so much for the info, greatly appreciated. I will keep looking. I saw someone in a thread also say to avoid the RFI and DI models…would you agree?
Definitely avoid the DI models! Source: 2000 GTX DI owner...

If you are mechanically inclined and interested, the skis you describe in post #1 dont sound that bad. A compression test + water trial should go a long way in gaining confidence in the skis. The worst is when you can only run them on a trailer - run fast from those! Did the owner do the motor rebuild himself or just the install?

I don't get the "stay away from 951's" or "they are hard to work on". I prefer the Carb 951's as they are simple to work on, have reed valves, 1-piece heads, and mine have always been reliable. This year sought out and bought almost exclusively carb'd 951's (8 ski's) which, I went through them, fixed and sold. I don't see any issues with them. I'm in a fresh water ski area so I don't know if affects anyone's experience with them. Biggest headache I had was with a 787 RFI which I finally troubled shot down to a bad ignition module on the back of the mpem. RFI & FI require a diag-computer to reset things like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the like within the MPEM. I place all my ski's back to stock, for example removing PROKs and fixing accelerator pumps if needed.

The 951 is just an engine and if both were done correctly they should be reliable. Sounds like the owner takes good care of the skis. Many would likely suggest finding skis with the 787 engine. The 787 is easier to work on. The only thing I'd definitely do with the 951 is to fog the engines after riding at the end of each day of riding. I don't think there are perfect skis out there, most need new everything at this phase. Looks like you found two well cared for 951s and there is no reason you can't keep them relliable, as with anything else they require diligence and good maintenance. Good luck whatever you decide.

Definitely avoid the DI models! Source: 2000 GTX DI owner...

If you are mechanically inclined and interested, the skis you describe in post #1 dont sound that bad. A compression test + water trial should go a long way in gaining confidence in the skis. The worst is when you can only run them on a trailer - run fast from those! Did the owner do the motor rebuild himself or just the install?
The owner did the rebuild himself. He did say he’s happy to do a compression test on site and allow us to take the out on the water for a test drive.

The owner did the rebuild himself. He did say he’s happy to do a compression test on site and allow us to take the out on the water for a test drive.
I rebuilt the same model last year, and did not have a problem. I had carbs so there weren't any issues with the direct injection (DI) system. The engine is a two stroke with fewer parts and a lot easier to work on than the newer four stroke engines. They are a solid platform for first time users and should be fun to use. Good luck.

I don't get the "stay away from 951's" or "they are hard to work on". I prefer the Carb 951's as they are simple to work on, have reed valves, 1-piece heads, and mine have always been reliable. This year sought out and bought almost exclusively carb'd 951's (8 ski's) which, I went through them, fixed and sold. I don't see any issues with them. I'm in a fresh water ski area so I don't know if affects anyone's experience with them. Biggest headache I had was with a 787 RFI which I finally troubled shot down to a bad ignition module on the back of the mpem. RFI & FI require a diag-computer to reset things like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the like within the MPEM. I place all my ski's back to stock, for example removing PROKs and fixing accelerator pumps if needed.
What did the ski do with the bad ignition module

Back