2000 GTX DI Air Injector

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybeaux

Took my 2000 GTX DI Millenium Edition to the shop due to maintenance light and limp mode. Ski wouldn't rev up above 4000 rpm or so. The shop read the codes and informed me it was a bad air injector. In fact I think he said the PTO Air Injector and I took this to mean the one over the cylinder nearest the driveshaft as opposed to the magneto/bow of the boat. I believe I have that all correct.

I gave them the go ahead to fix it as I WANT the ski ready for the Memorial Day weekend and I don't have a ton of experience working on the machine.

Since joining this forum, I've been reading a lot and you guys make repairs sound easy. So I have a few questions...

Since the shop is replacing one air injector, should I have the other one replaced? If so, it seems like a simple job in that it's just under the fuel rail (not sure if that's the proper name or not). That being said, from the diagrams, it just looks like a pop out and pop in change.

What do the experts think?

Part is $300 / Labor about $250-ish.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

air injectors are very reliable and are not a common failure. many times another issue will make the mpem think(store code) it is an air inj failure such as low air compressor pressure or low fuel pressure. you don't need to replace the other injector just for sake of replacing it.

it takes 10 minutes to change an air injector, two bolts and pop it out, but I'm concerned that's not the actual problem just the result of another problem. unless it is at a seadoo shop that has a lot of experience with DIs, they may just be parts changers and not really diagnose the root of the problem. that is a lot to pay for labor(sound like $125/hr rate) and good used air injectors are normally less than $100.

the proper way to diagnose is to start with the basics, check compression, check fuel pressure, check rectifier which are common failures and go from there. BUDS is a good tool but I don't even hook up BUDS until I cover the basics.

are you using the correct oil?

Thanks for the reply....

I'm using the Seadoo synthetic, from the yellow gallon jug.

I replaced the rectifier last year with an OEM part. The original rectifier was replaced in 2007 at 102 hrs, and the second was changed in 2013 at 220 hrs.

The ski is at a seadoo dealer/shop. I can't speak to their experience with DI's, but so far, they have been good to me....pricey, but good.

To be honest, I don't know what my compression numbers are or my fuel pressure. I will ask the shop when I go to pick it up if they checked them. I may go get a compression tester and do that next week.

Is there anything else I should ask the shop when I go pick it up?

Jay

good to hear you are using the correct oil and sounds like you have always used it. that is why you have 220 hours and no major engine issues. however, even with proper maintenance, the 951 DI has a limited life span especially the top end which typically will last between 200 and 300 hours.

I'd ask what all they checked and make sure to get your bad air injector back. it also could just be an electrical connection issue with the air injector. You should also have them explain all the labor hours and ask what the rate is. Hooking up BUDS takes 5 minutes.

hopefully I'm wrong and it is just an air injector and not something worse. have you cleaned your raves lately?

Bought the RAVE rebuild kit from SBT....will have it done on Wednesday. Thanks for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back