2000 GS took on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelKatz

So I let a very mechanically-inclined friend (he used to work as a snowmobile mechanic) take my 2000 GS out. I prepped everything for him, but forgot to screw in the drain plugs. He, unfortunately, launched without noticing that they were out.

He had to tie the ski up for about 5 minutes to park the car and walk back to the ramp. He didn't notice it low or anything unusual. It started without issue.

On the water, he noticed that it was riding low, with the tail end about an inch underwater. He took off the seat to check if he was taking on water and said he only noticed an inch or so and considered it normal. (I would have thought it would have sunk instantly with the seat off and the plugs out, but I guess not.)

He knew something was wrong about ten minutes later when a small wave hit him broadside and tossed him off the ski and it was hard to get back on. He then realized the issue and screwed the drain plugs in and managed to start the ski from alongside it. He said the engine was a bit hard to start, but not too bad. He got back on the ski and let it run to pump out water and warm the engine.

The story's a bit unclear about what issues he had at this point, but he brought the ski back to shore and looked inside. He changed the spark plugs and noticed about an inch of water in the electrical box with the coil and starter relay. He dried the box as best he could and test rode the ski. He said it "surged" over 20 MPH but felt fine under. So he kept it under 20 MPH and rode it a bit to make sure it was dry.

When he brought the ski back, I noticed the coil area was wet and the ground connection was poor. I cleaned that all up, fully dried everything, and the ski looks fine. After putting the electrical box back together, I hit the start/stop button to see if the starter would crank (just checking contacts), and it started instantly. (It actually confused me, because I didn't quite hear the starter at all and it took me a second to realized what had happened. I've never had a cold ski start that fast.)

Is there anything else I should check before I go back on the water with the ski?

if it's now dry, and clean... and will start... you should be fine.

Also... if the plugs were out... yes... it would have sank fast. (Regardless if the seat was on or off) Also... for the rear electrical box to have water in it... it would have needed to be about half full of water. BUT... like I said... if it's dry and running... you should be OK. (assuming this was in fresh water)

if it's now dry, and clean... and will start... you should be fine.
It is. That's good to hear.

Also... if the plugs were out... yes... it would have sank fast. (Regardless if the seat was on or off)
That's what I would have thought. But he swears both drain plugs were completely out, and he had the ski in the water and shut off for about five minutes and didn't even notice it was low. It wasn't until later, after riding for awhile (he rides very aggressively) that he noticed the ski was *really* low.

Also... for the rear electrical box to have water in it... it would have needed to be about half full of water.
I agree. I think by the time he fully realized that something must be wrong, the ski had quite a bit of water on it. He's very athletic and couldn't get back on the ski. He had to start it from along side the ski after he put the plugs in.

BUT... like I said... if it's dry and running... you should be OK. (assuming this was in fresh water)
It was. But the mystery was why it was surging at full throttle. Maybe the wet electrical box did that. Maybe the loose ground. (He wasn't 100% clear on whether the surging was before he tried to dry the box, after, or both. I think both.)

actually, i disagree on it sinking fast, and the story above is a good example, if the plug is just dangeling, and your stopped, the suction created by the incoming water many times will sort of suck a 1/4" of the the plug(s) and the water flow into the hull will be reduced greatly. now i assume if you rock the boat or there is waves and such then the flow will increase as the plug wiggles around.

no i'm not advocating that you shouldn't be anal about your plugs (oops... that came out wrong), just saying that the couple of times i've seen it happen the water only rushed in for a few seconds if the ski was just sitting there at the ramp.

I did this once, years ago on my yamaha, i'll never make the mistake again, actually i dam near NEVER take the drain plugs out anymore, and I still am OCD about checking them just in case, but part of my post ride routine is to jam the wet vac down into the hull and suck out the last bit of water in there.

during my various group rides, my ocd kicks in at the ramp as well, and i find myself checking other peoples drain plugs while i'm yapping it up with peeps, and at least 3 times this year i've caught a few plugs out and just leaned down and screwed them in, it becomes second nature.

actually, i disagree on it sinking fast, and the story above is a good example, if the plug is just dangeling, and your stopped, the suction created by the incoming water many times will sort of suck a 1/4" of the the plug(s) and the water flow into the hull will be reduced greatly. now i assume if you rock the boat or there is waves and such then the flow will increase as the plug wiggles around.

That's true. I play with some may different things, that when I hear... "Plug out"... I think if a regular hull plug, and not a captured PWC style plug.

(I'll leave the anal plug thing alone)

I did the same thing when i first got my ski, ran all day, fished off it, ran again... never sunk.. put it on the trailer and was like... hrm... thats odd.. my plug was dangling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back