2 Stroke oils

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

easttenneski

Ok here's the skinny, i bought a 95 SPi this ski is Flawless and has never let me down and i ride A LOT. Previous owner only rode it about 3-4 hours and it had a full tank of oil in it when he had it and now after my long rides its getting low. The oil thats in it is blue, if you get water on it, it turns white, so its marine 2 stroke stuff i am assuming.

Ok here's the question, the previous owner has no idea whats been in it, what should i use, i am in strong belief this is some oil thats been bought at Wal'mart and the likes and have no problem running that if its fine for this ski.

Suggestions, comments, etc would be appreciated in looking for some oil for this machine.

Thanks

Yup... Walmart TC-w3 oil is blue, and it's not good for your engine.

Drain the tank... clean out the hoses, and change over to an approved API-TC oil. If you mix oils, they can react badly together.

Not to hyjack a thread here, but this one seems to be a good one to ask my question.

Everything I've been told or read says to use only approved Seadoo oil. Which is fine. But the two local Seadoo dealers here in San Antonio no longer sell the old-style 2-stroke mineral oil for Seadoo's. They only have the synthetic. I don't have a problem using the synthetic oil, but I do have a problem spending $20 more per gallon for it over the mineral oil.

So here's my question: Is there another brand of oil out there that meets the API rating required by Seadoo to run in their motors?

The dealers around here say they are only carrying the synthetic because that is what is required for the newer skis. I bought the last gallon that one dealer had at $32. I'm having a hard time spending $54 for a gallon of synthetic.

I know I can still find the old stuff online, but it's a lot nicer for me to just run down and pick some up since I travel around town all the time during the day.

Is there something else that we can use with the older skis?

Yup... Walmart TC-w3 oil is blue, and it's not good for your engine.

Drain the tank... clean out the hoses, and change over to an approved API-TC oil. If you mix oils, they can react badly together.

When you say wall mart oil, are you refering to the Quicksilver two stroke oil? I was under the impression that that stuff was ok on non Rave valve engines?
I belive it also states on the bottle that it was for both TC-w3 and API-TC. I could be wrong.

Everything I've been told or read says to use only approved Seadoo oil. Which is fine. But the two local Seadoo dealers here in San Antonio no longer sell the old-style 2-stroke mineral oil for Seadoo's. They only have the synthetic. I don't have a problem using the synthetic oil, but I do have a problem spending $20 more per gallon for it over the mineral oil.

So here's my question: Is there another brand of oil out there that meets the API rating required by Seadoo to run in their motors?

The dealers around here say they are only carrying the synthetic because that is what is required for the newer skis. I bought the last gallon that one dealer had at $32. I'm having a hard time spending $54 for a gallon of synthetic.

Yes, quicksilver PWC or Amsoil Interceptor should be fine. BUT... do not mix these with your SeaDoo oil. You will need to do a clean out, and a refill if you want to change. Neither of these oils are cheap.

The better option (IMO) is to use the new SeaDoo Synth blend. You can pour it right in with the oil you are using now, and if you buy a case... you should be able to get the dealer to give you a price break. (3 Gal) I get it local for $26/gal if I by a case. I think the retail price is only $32/gal.

Yes... it's more than the regular mineral oil... but it's less than the synth.

I would imagine that SeaDoo has discontinued the mineral oil is because most of the skis that can use it safe (800's and lower) are all at end of life, (for factory support) and they just don't sell enough. (just guessing)

When you say wall mart oil, are you refering to the Quicksilver two stroke oil? I was under the impression that that stuff was ok on non Rave valve engines?
I belive it also states on the bottle that it was for both TC-w3 and API-TC. I could be wrong.

No... not the Quicksilver PWC. The Wal-Mart Super Tech TC-w3 oil. It's good stuff, and very cheap. I use it in my Yamaha's and in the tank of my Diesel truck to lube the injector pump. (dam ULSD) But it's a big no-no in our seadoo's. (it's blue)

Under no circumstances should you use Wal-mart TC3 oil in your seadoo. A gallon of oil will last you through 50 gallons of gas, so spending a little more on Seadoo oil is worth it. Definitely don't mix the oils like the other posts said, and clean out the tank. Cheap oils will gum up the RAVEs, even Seadoo mineral oil leaves deposits on them. Full synthetic (the "expensive" $50 stuff) leaves very little scum behind. On an older Seadoo it isn't necessary, for essentially an extra $5/tank of gas it is worth the extra protection vs. the $30 stuff. BTW, Seadoo didn't discontinue the "old" oil, they probably just don't keep as much in stock anymore because the new engines are all 4-strokes.

Yes, quicksilver PWC or Amsoil Interceptor should be fine. BUT... do not mix these with your SeaDoo oil. You will need to do a clean out, and a refill if you want to change. Neither of these oils are cheap.

The better option (IMO) is to use the new SeaDoo Synth blend. You can pour it right in with the oil you are using now, and if you buy a case... you should be able to get the dealer to give you a price break. (3 Gal) I get it local for $26/gal if I by a case. I think the retail price is only $32/gal.

Yes... it's more than the regular mineral oil... but it's less than the synth.

I would imagine that SeaDoo has discontinued the mineral oil is because most of the skis that can use it safe (800's and lower) are all at end of life, (for factory support) and they just don't sell enough. (just guessing)

No... not the Quicksilver PWC. The Wal-Mart Super Tech TC-w3 oil. It's good stuff, and very cheap. I use it in my Yamaha's and in the tank of my Diesel truck to lube the injector pump. (dam ULSD) But it's a big no-no in our seadoo's. (it's blue)

Ok I got a little confused because I got a gallon of of the quicksilver oil @ Wall mart. I read the back of the label to make sure I got the right stuff that is why I wanted to clarify. So I am breaking in two engines and I am premixing. The oil block off kit is installed and I hooked up clear hose (so I can be sure there is oil in the lines) to the oil tank and the vent back to the tank(upper and lower rotary oil lines) I put maybe a 1/4 tank of the quicksilver 2 stroke oil in the oil tank. I premixed 5 gal @ 32:1 for the break in tank (quicksilver 2 stroke oil). And now I have a carb issue....LOL

Where are you buying at? I can handle $32/gal. That's what I was paying before.

Sorry, just wanted to add a quick question here. When you guys say "clean the tank" when switching oils, are you just saying to drain completely (including the lines) and refill with new? Or do we need to actually spray the tank out with some sort of mild solvent or even with a little gas to clean out all the residue as well?

The reason I ask is it looks like my 3 have blue oil in them and the oil the guy gave me is the good seadoo stuff that is brown. I am continuing to ride them until they get low so I can drain the rest out, but wanted to make sure I am doing it properly.

Thanks guys for any advice there.

YES you CAN mix all of the BRP 2-stroke oil's... it says on the bottle.... no to mixing with anything else.... there is a Quicksilver "full synthetic" that is great for use in the doo's, jus ask snipe and furthermore is'nt the BRP "full synthetic" BLUE... i drained my tanks when i bought my ski's because they were dark dark blue and from one ski to another the blues were way different, to answer your Q rotax what will werk for you would be siphon out as much old oil as possible, then pop the fitting out of the bottom of the tank let the rest drain out, now be a man, leave the return line to the top of the tank, put your lil mouth up to the red fitting give her a good blow,(you could do this with compressed air, maybe 10-12 psi....oil will cycle and return to the tank and drain out into the hull... oh well, get out as much as you can then re plug the tank with the fitting... at this time i backed up to my neighbors yard poured bout half a bottle of dawn into the front of the hull, tipped the trailer up and sprayed her out real good... some will tell you to do this step differently, this is just how i did it.... now refill with oil of choice bleed oil lines, start ski, open pump arm fully and purge lil lines real good (smoke out the neighbors, no biggy) call in sick the next day and haul ass!!!

Thanks Daverade, yes I have neighbors that deserve a nice oil treat in their yard, lol. I will give that a shot. I didn't know the brp full synthetic was blue as well, I just have the synthetic blend in the bottle that appears to be brown.

i "think" it is... i had blue in my tanks, the guy i bought it from said he ran brp full synt. so i called seadoo and asked for a tech, told him i had blue in the tanks, he said yep its the full synthetic....as far as the blend i run that too...and just to be safe rotax unless you know for absolute sure i would purge the system...

You know I always get suckered into reading the post about oil. I just bought Premium Plus synthetic oil and not sure if this is the problem or not but the skis run ok. I get more blue smoke when I start up but it runs fine afterwards. I just wish seadoo had an oil to buy and that's it. The last oil I bought from seadoo was from Amazon and now they don't sell it anymore. Just give me a brand name and where to buy it. Make it really simple for an old guy like me...send me a link, circle the oi, give a UPC code.....please!

See you on the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back