1999 Speedster SK carb question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopp

I'm buying a 1999 Speedster SK on Monday.

Engines fired right up and ran well on a hose for cooling. Do I need to rebuild the carbs right off the bat or let it be? I've rebuilt a bunch of carbs, top ends and a few bottom ends of various 2 and 4 stroke motors. Where should I look to get good OEM parts in Ontario, Canada?

Also I've seen it stated in the Service Manual that an oil line should be periodically replaced? Where can I get that?

Any other reccomended maintenance or tips?

Thanks!

Edit: It's an SK with the 717's.

Yes, I would rebuilt the carbs and buy new fuel pumps. You can't rebuild the fuel pumps in the boats. You can however order them from the dealer. Some guys that used a different style cheaper mikuni fuel pump. If you went that route you'd need to block a port, I'm just not down with that. You might have to switch to the 787 engine style for pump, which I think is the same just the inlet for the fuel is straight up not 90° those are part # 270500388 As to where in Canada, don't know where you can get the parts. But you'll need the fuel pumps, 4 carb kits and 4 needle and seats. In USD those parts are probably $450-$475. So, that's a tough nut right out of the gate on a new purchase.

Here is the seadoo parts microfiche. Use the drop down menu, select boats. The fuel pumps are in the fuel system drawings.

http://epc.brp.com

Carb rebuild kits part number. DO NOT USE THE SPRINGS IN THE KIT. Use your original ones, they should be a dark color, not silver. You'll have a bunch of left over parts from the kits. You might even be better going a-la-carte but I just always buy the kits.

mk-bn38/44 spr

Needle and seat 1.5 is the size you need. I use the viton tipped version.

Just make sure everything is genuine Mikuni.
You can make your own pop off tester or buy the Mikuni one. I had my own that I built, then I bought the Mikuni one, I'll never switch back it's so sexy and easy to use, no fumbling around.

Thanks racerxxx I appreciate your response. I'm not sure I have the hardware you think I do though. This boat has twin 717/720's and only two carbs. I agree I want to rebuild my boat with genuine OEM parts though. I picked up two new #270500388 for $150 and a gnuine two carb Mikuni rebuild kit for $100 so I think I'm ok as far as that goes. Glad you pointed out about the pumps because the ones on it have the factory crimp hoses and I bet they're original. For the 717 is it 1.5 needle and seat or 1.2?

My boat will spend the summer in the river at my dock. Will it sink to the riverbed if a cooling hose breaks? Or is it bouyant enough? Do they make drive on dockks big enough for this?

Your 99' Speedster uses 1.5 needles and seats and only Genuine Mikuni. Also don't use the new springs in the kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back