1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI - Water in Jet Pump cone

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBoater

Per my prior “Hydro-locked” thread, I thought my ski was hydro-locked, but it turns out the pump was seized!… when I removed the jet pump nose cone, more water came out than oil… I had changed the oil and replaced the o-ring at the beginning of last season… I had already removed the heads for a top-end rebuild, but it took a long wrench to turn the shaft… so I have a couple of questions:
1. What could cause this ingress? Where should I start to look for damage?
2. I am assuming the bearings will be shot, if there was enough water in their to seize the shaft, so the pump needs to be refurbished or replaced?
3. I’ve looked on YouTube and servicing/refurbishing the pump and bearings looks to need a bunch of engineering tools I don’t have, so what are my options? Replace the whole unit (any recommendations as to where to source a new pump?)? Anywhere I can send this unit to have it over-hauled?

Thanks in advance… I have posted a separate thread on the top-end rebuild, as In have some questions there too!

Per my prior “Hydro-locked” thread, I thought my ski was hydro-locked, but it turns out the pump was seized!… when I removed the jet pump nose cone, more water came out than oil… I had changed the oil and replaced the o-ring at the beginning of last season… I had already removed the heads for a top-end rebuild, but it took a long wrench to turn the shaft… so I have a couple of questions:
1. What could cause this ingress? Where should I start to look for damage?
2. I am assuming the bearings will be shot, if there was enough water in their to seize the shaft, so the pump needs to be refurbished or replaced?
3. I’ve looked on YouTube and servicing/refurbishing the pump and bearings looks to need a bunch of engineering tools I don’t have, so what are my options? Replace the whole unit (any recommendations as to where to source a new pump?)? Anywhere I can send this unit to have it over-hauled?

Thanks in advance… I have posted a separate thread on the top-end rebuild, as In have some questions there too!
1. The o-ring didn't seat correctly. I also use locktite 518 around the o-ring as a backup. The cone could also not have been torque back on tight enough.
2. If it seized then the bearings are shot. The pump housing may be salvageable so just inspect it. Also, the drive shaft could be unusable/scored which would need replacing too.
3. I purchased the rebuild kit and bearing press/removal tools for about $120.00 from OSD Marine online. The impeller tool is about $20 on Amazon. I have a hydraulic press so it makes the job super easy. You can do it without the tools, it is just a little harder. Ebay is a good source for replacement pumps. There was one on there with an impeller still installed for $124.00. Otherwise google search with the part number is your best friend.

It doesn't take a lot of tools to install two little roller bearings in the pump because that's all it is. Don't let the procedure deter you. You'll save a lot of money doing it this way. However, if the pump housing is damaged, Bay Area Powersports sells New pumps ready to go but without the pump shaft. I see some of them are $200 which is cheaper than some people want for used pumps.

It doesn't take a lot of tools to install two little roller bearings in the pump because that's all it is. Don't let the procedure deter you. You'll save a lot of money doing it this way. However, if the pump housing is damaged, Bay Area Powersports sells New pumps ready to go but without the pump shaft. I see some of them are $200 which is cheaper than some people want for used pumps.
Thanks... I think I'm going to go the Bay Area Powersports route (path of least resistance!)... shaft seems to be OK, so a new thrust bearing and the housing from Bay Area Powersports and we should be in business! Thanks!

OK... I'm going to have a crack at rebuilding it. Bay Area are super-helpful, but only have the small inner hub pump available which would work, it would just look different, so I'm going to start with a rebuild using their kit below:

Seadoo Complete Pump Rebuild Kit Wear Ring Shaft Bearing 717 720 GS HX GSI SP

I addition, I bought the impeller tool, pump oil and bearing install tool for installing the 2 needle bearings and oil seal in the pump:

SeaDoo Kawasaki Impeller Removal Install Installation Tool 2-Stroke

Klotz Sea Doo Synthetic Jet Pump Oil

Sea Doo Jet Pump Bearing Seal Install Tool All PWC Jet Boat 2-Stroke Models

...and I'm going to replace the cone (as that's where the water ingress started, I believe):

Sea Doo Anti Rattle Pump Nose Cone Kit GS 1999-2001 99 00 01

All the parts shipped super-fast and I have them in hand, so will take a stab at it this weekend... will let this thread know how I make out

Thanks!
Simon

OK, so, take the advice of @etemplet and do not be put off by the procedure... easy-peasy (see attached photos)... especially if you:
1. splash the extra few bucks for the bearing and seal tool (worked like a charm - no measuring needed)
2. leave the pump housing somewhere nice and warm overnight and leave the new wear ring in the freezer overnight (dropped right in)

The pump prior to this refurb felt like it had sand in it (the shaft was so tough to turn)... now it's nice and smooth... thanks for the help, guys!

Attachments

• CE69BDF3-5EDF-4B70-92C3-0E0ECC7F2482.jpeg
    CE69BDF3-5EDF-4B70-92C3-0E0ECC7F2482.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1CF4D4A0-E1AD-442C-94ED-DEBB7F5DB6D1.jpeg
    1CF4D4A0-E1AD-442C-94ED-DEBB7F5DB6D1.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 11
  • D527C00E-1968-44F8-A165-227D4D3C00DC.jpeg
    D527C00E-1968-44F8-A165-227D4D3C00DC.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 11
  • A1D485F0-CE15-4C0B-AB7B-7B23D146763C.jpeg
    A1D485F0-CE15-4C0B-AB7B-7B23D146763C.jpeg