1999 GTX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the ski to the canal today for water testing. It did well. It sure is boring doing the break-in correctly. I know I am too anal about it but it needs to be done right. :) I gotta say... fuel injection rocks thus far. Hit the button and go. Wear Ring is bad and I'll PM the back end shortly. Next time out... I'll go 50% throttle. I'm gonna run premix with the oil pump for the first few hours.
Question 1 - where is the tattle tale exit port on the 99 RFI? I thought it was on the front left side of the hull just beneath the rub rail. I don't know where to connect this line on the engine. I have that port hooked to the battery overflow. :)

Question 2 - I need some pictures of the dash so I can see how it was when new. Mine has been spray painted black.

Question 3 - My info center isn't working. Not lit up at all. I'm thinking it is toast but am not spending tons of money to get it fixed. Advice on this is always welcome. Speedo is dead also.

Is the LCD display faded? If not, may be worth it to take it apart. It tends to get a bad connection from moisture inside. Clean/lubricate the large connection between the main board and LCD display. On the Speed O pickup or paddle wheel is likely not spinning like it should, when on trailer, running, you can hit with the hose to see if it spins. Otherwise double check connections or replace it.

Paint on the dash may rub off with some stripper, should be a wood grain appearance underneath.

What is the "tattle tale exit port" you're asking? Whatever it is, if you have a service manual it should be easy to trace down.

I am hoping someone that has a 99GTX or has pictures of one could help out. I'm sure someone knows the tattle tale path. I don't see any place for it to come out of the ski. I remember seeing a ski that was squirting water from the left side towards the front of the ski.

Took the ski to the canal today for water testing. It did well. It sure is boring doing the break-in correctly. I know I am too anal about it but it needs to be done right. :) I gotta say... fuel injection rocks thus far. Hit the button and go. Wear Ring is bad and I'll PM the back end shortly. Next time out... I'll go 50% throttle. I'm gonna run premix with the oil pump for the first few hours.
Question 1 - where is the tattle tale exit port on the 99 RFI? I thought it was on the front left side of the hull just beneath the rub rail. I don't know where to connect this line on the engine. I have that port hooked to the battery overflow. :)

Question 2 - I need some pictures of the dash so I can see how it was when new. Mine has been spray painted black.

Question 3 - My info center isn't working. Not lit up at all. I'm thinking it is toast but am not spending tons of money to get it fixed. Advice on this is always welcome. Speedo is dead also.

I am not familiar with the RFI but on a DI ski you are not supposed to run pre-mix. I think it can potentially block up the injectors. So if your injectors are similar to a DI ski you may want to reconsider running pre-mix. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in.
Jim

I am not familiar with the RFI but on a DI ski you are not supposed to run pre-mix. I think it can potentially block up the injectors. So if your injectors are similar to a DI ski you may want to reconsider running pre-mix. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in.
Jim
Thanks for the input. I gave that some thought before running it in the fuel. 50:1 for the first hour and only mixed 6 gallons. I just added 10 gallons of gas. I should be OK.

Looks like a jet pump rebuild. Shaft has been damaged by electrolysis and wear. Prop is kinda ugly too. I want to fix this ski up as one I may want to keep. If it is faster than my wife's.... I'm keeping it. :) I rode a 2001 GTX and her's was still faster. I should probably take some credit.... I did build it. :)

Never premix a RFI or DI, it’s bad for the injectors.

The manual shows the top 1/4” fitting on top of the exhaust manifold before the pipe connection is the pisser and it exits the hull at the rear tie downhook.

A 951 GTX will be noticeably faster than a 787 especially when it starts pulling on top, of not something is wrong.

It was a 787 I am sure and it made about 49mph on the gps. But it sure pulled smooth. :) Then again since the work I did on our skis... the pull smooth as well. :)

I didn't see anything near the rear down hook but I'll take a closer look. As always Miki your help is much appreciated. I have a few things to go over before I take the ski out again.

The manual shows the top 1/4” fitting on top of the exhaust manifold before the pipe connection is the pisser and it exits the hull at the rear tie downhook.

Ha ha, you made me go out and check, They sure hid that one from me. Under one of the bars of the hook. I have the lines running correctly but will make sure I am getting good flow. I have to remark on proper engine break-in. As I shut down the first time after about 10 minutes, the rear cylinder was noticeably hotter than the front, the exhaust pipe was also hot to the touch. Not more than 130 degrees though. After about 2 more rides, 40 minutes or so total, both cylinders were the same temperature and the exhaust pipe was cool. I still don't call the ski broken in though. I'll spend more time taking it easy the checking things out. Thanks for the help !!

A 2001 GTX should be a 951 unless it was a RFI.

I have had fresh engines run a little hot at first too, you should be good.

A 2001 GTX should be a 951 unless it was a RFI.

I have had fresh engines run a little hot at first too, you should be good.

Yes it was an RFI. I recognized the 787 engine. I have yet to encounter a 951 but as you know.... I have one in the yard waiting for me. LOL

On the pump..... Closer inspection, measurements, and clean up..... not so bad a shape as it looked upon disassembly. No measurable wear, no etching just discoloration that polished right out. Installed a new seal, clean and flush, a little filing on the prop and we're good. :) Wear ring was about 1/2" short which I just don't get. Who knows the people that work on these things before we get them. Got R installed and ready for the next break-in phase.

Got a wrinkle or three during break-in. I had a hint of an issue during the first phase of break-in. Throttle position constant and RPM and power drop off. I thought maybe the throttle position sensor. Today I rode at higher speed and had more issues. Power dropped significantly so I slowed, power came back but didn't last long. My final outing I had issues right away. Almost felt like a fouled plug but the ski was clearly not making top performance even when running smooth earlier.

I'd like to check the fuel pressure first thing and I didn't see a port for checking the pressure. Is there a port? Or do I need seadoo tool :D Help is appreciated. I Need an RFI GURU. LOL

Last edited:
Got a wrinkle or three during break-in. I had a hint of an issue during the first phase of break-in. Throttle position constant and RPM and power drop off. I thought maybe the throttle position sensor. Today I rode at higher speed and had more issues. Power dropped significantly so I slowed, power came back but didn't last long. My final outing I had issues right away. Almost felt like a fouled plug but the ski was clearly not making top performance even when running smooth earlier.

I'd like to check the fuel pressure first thing and I didn't a port for checking the pressure. Is there a port? Or do I need seadoo tool :D Help is appreciated. I Need an RFI GURU. LOL

Time to get the Candoo Pro, pays dividends, you'll like it, especially with RFI/DI skis. With all the programming of DESS lanyards you could have earned most of the $400 cost back by now.

Love having that device, worth the cost, and I only have a couple carbed skis, not a half dozen or so like you.

Did some troubleshooting on the ski. I checked the sensors by following the manual. I got an odd reading on the TPS. I suspected the TPS of having issues when I first rode the ski. I got the proper reading for the TPS on pins 3 and 4 but did not get a reading from pin 4 and pin 1. Got a "OL" on the meter and the reading should have been between 710 and 1380 ohms. Air temp sensor, Crank Sensor, water temp sensor, air pressure sensor all checked good. I ordered some parts for making a fuel pressure tester. Doing some reading on the Rave valve system on the RFI.

Did some troubleshooting on the ski. I checked the sensors by following the manual. I got an odd reading on the TPS. I suspected the TPS of having issues when I first rode the ski. I got the proper reading for the TPS on pins 3 and 4 but did not get a reading from pin 4 and pin 1. Got a "OL" on the meter and the reading should have been between 710 and 1380 ohms. Air temp sensor, Crank Sensor, water temp sensor, air pressure sensor all checked good. I ordered some parts for making a fuel pressure tester. Doing some reading on the Rave valve system on the RFI.

You may need to reset the TPS, has to be done with the Candoo or BUDS, can't be done mechanically. That's why I was suggesting maybe it's time to get the Candoo.

I replaced the Rectifier and the Throttle Position Sensor, now I am prettying up the outside of the hull. I'm gonna be doing some sanding and polishing. I am also looking for an info gauge and I need to find out why the tach isn't working. This is gonna be one "fine" ski but I say that about every ski I restore. :)

Thanks Dan, I'm trying to figure out if it is the gauge or something else. I don't want to blow up a good gauge.

Oh well, I got a case of the "It's worth a shot" mentality. I found an info gauge and speedometer on Ebay for a good price and went "all-in". :) Neither of mine are working so... we'll see what happens. Of all the reams of information overload I have learning about these skis, I really would like to get good at troubleshooting the gauges and such. So far the only success I've had is replacing them and due to the cost... I don't often replace gauges. However this RFI is gonna be a really nice ski so I figure... it's worth a shot. :) I am currently cleaning up the exterior and not sure where I am gonna stop.

I spent some time cleaning up the hull. It was pretty bad. some clown painted it but now it looks very nice. I went ahead and painted the hood. Too much work but got R done. The gauges I removed had some splicing which now I'm glad I got the other gauges. Nothing was working. I'm gonna do some checking as I assemble the hood. Ski sure looks schweet. Gonna be kick azz if it runs. LOL I posted these pictures on another thread but.....

Attachments

• Hood Painted.jpg
    Hood Painted.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 16
Working on the info gauge and speedometer. When I plug in the info gauge harness to the MPEM I am getting a couple of beeps from the internals. Strange as I tried to figure out where it is coming from. The INFO gauge is not lighting up so I will begin troubleshooting. Input would be helpful. The ski starts and runs. I want to take it to the water but can't for a couple of weeks. I am also getting a spark when I connect the negative battery post. Something tells me I'm gonna be chasing wires on this one. :) Help is appreciated.

Is this the same info gauge or the one you recently bought off ebay? Both not lighting up? Looking at a schematic I'd check for power going to the gauge, or try swapping it on to one of your other GTX skis, see what happens. Narrow it down, sounds like the gauges may be fine and the issue lies somewhere else.

I figured I'd post to this thread since this is where it got started. Found a Upholstery guy not too far from me. I did the front seat... paid him to do the rear. So the RFI is lookin " scocious" It needs some graphics but I'm not dumping extra money into the ski. The new owner can do that or pay me to handle it. :) Boy O Boy was this ski a lot of work but it is looking sexy. Second Water test coming up when a semi-warm day comes along. I am likin this ski !! Go Girhl !!! :D :D GTX Seat 1999A.jpegGTX Seat 1999 Gold.jpegGTX Seat 1999 C.jpegGTX Seat 1999 B.jpeg

I figured I'd post to this thread since this is where it got started. Found a Upholstery guy not too far from me. I did the front seat... paid him to do the rear. So the RFI is lookin " scocious" It needs some graphics but I'm not dumping extra money into the ski. The new owner can do that or pay me to handle it. :) Boy O Boy was this ski a lot of work but it is looking sexy. Second Water test coming up when a semi-warm day comes along. I am likin this ski !! Go Girhl !!! :D:DView attachment 39153View attachment 39154View attachment 39155View attachment 39156

Looks nice, you adding mats? rub rail insert should be fairly cheap, same for glove box cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back