1999 GTX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should probably do this. :) If I do, I'll just pull the fuel tank back out. Everything is empty and clean. The fuel injectors are at the shop for cleaning up and refurb. Who knows I might like this ski enough to keep it... especially if it keeps up with my wife's or whups up on her a little. :)

I really think you should while you have the chance. Those filters are typically really nasty since nobody replaces them and it could cost you the pump and your freshly cleaned injectors.

For $10 it seems silly not to.

Dunno why but I am getting excited about this ski. :) I won't get to play with it till next week but looking forward to firing it up and doing a some water testing. AFTER..... I replace the filters in the fuel system. I am wondering if it would be easier just to remove the fuel tank again. Everything is still empty.

Are these the fuel filters I need??
1. Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

2. Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Will I need a replacement gasket for the fuel tank?? I can order that this week and have R ready to go.
:)

Last edited:
Cylinders bored cleaned and ready to install. Now I need to fit the Rave valves to the .75MM over bores. And yes... I'm pulling the fuel tank and replacing the filters. :)

Just a point of interest to me and perhaps others, the rave slot on the 99 GTX RFI is much tighter than on my 96 and 97 GTXs. I plan to take some measurements. I also wonder if the raves on the 99 would be an upgrade for the earlier models. They have a much better seal arrangement on the 99s.

After much work yesterday the ski is getting closer. Boy O Boy you find so many issues with previous mechanical work on these skis. If course that is they way with most things.... I took a few items apart on my brand new zero turn mower because it was not assembled correctly.

I'll be headed to the auto parts store this morning to get the filters. I got the paperwork on the injectors from the cleaning and the spray pattern was bad. The Shop that did the cleaning didn't just recommend changing the filters.... he said.... "Change ALL the Filters, clean the fuel tank, and install fresh fuel." Sounds like he has been down that road a few times. :)

I'm not sure I'll be able to fire the ski up this week. I'm Jonesin for that moment and takin it to the river for testing and break-in.

All up in these fuel pump mechanism changing the filters trying not to break anything. Headed to Youtube for a path forward. I"ll post some revealing pictures later today.

Okie Dokie as promised. I want to thank Miki and Dan for hooking me up on the fuel filters and Dan for telling me about a second filter. As you can see by the pictures this would have set me back had I not done the job. I'd guess no one ever replaced these filters and I was mulling over replacing the fuel pump while I was in there. The skis is well on its way now.GTX RFI Fuel Filter.jpg20181010_113217.jpg20181010_123336.jpg20181010_112611.jpg

I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to take the fuel pump unit apart without doing damage. LOL It was a tedious job then I found the vent connector was broken so I had to get R fixed up. Here are a couple more pictures just in case someone is planning on doing this job. Dan the Part Numbers were PERFECT. Everything I needed. 20181010_112604.jpg20181010_115039.jpg20181010_123003.jpg20181010_124638.jpg

The exhaust manifold bolts seem really long to me. 10mm X 60mm. I will do some checking. I put some oil in the tank today, bled the pump and charged the oil lines. The oil pump setting was way off. I'm getting to the looking and tweakin part. Got some water lines to connect some electrical stuff then who knows.... may hit the button tomorrow but I got other stuff to do. I think I might be a little OCD. :) 20181010_145820.jpg20181010_145828.jpg

I really wonder how many of the bad reputations of the DI and RFI could all be avoided with the fuel filters being changed regularly.

I have it on good authority this is an ethanol issue with the breaking down of the filters. I agree Miki... not many people do preventive maintenance and with the cost involved if they can't do it themselves it doesn't get done. It would be pretty easy for me to jump on the fuel injection band wagon. :) I love it on motorcycles.

Are these the ones on the pump or is there done in the tank ? When I bought my 99 he put a new pump in it but not sure if he changed filters

If the pump was replaced I would think the filters were done as well. The are right there by the pump. Post on this thread, #36 the second picture is my fuel pump and the internal filter is at the bottom. You can see it. The other Filter is on the outside just opposite the filter pictured.

Last edited:
Getting back on the job. :) I will be home from our family reunion tonight... we rode the GTXs in the Gulf of Mexico... man that was rough but we had fun. The back Bay was much more fun and my cousins had a BALL !!

On the RFI... only a few more gentle hours of caressing and she'll be ready to fire up and water test. Then I'll do some cosmetic care.

It's FARGIN ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fired up today. Lots of tweaking left to do and some cosmetics but the ski is going in the water really soon. I like EM' WET !!SeaDoo 1999 GTX 1.jpegSeaDoo 1999 GTX.jpeg

Took the ski to the canal today for water testing. It did well. It sure is boring doing the break-in correctly. I know I am too anal about it but it needs to be done right. :) I gotta say... fuel injection rocks thus far. Hit the button and go. Wear Ring is bad and I'll PM the back end shortly. Next time out... I'll go 50% throttle. I'm gonna run premix with the oil pump for the first few hours.
Question 1 - where is the tattle tale exit port on the 99 RFI? I thought it was on the front left side of the hull just beneath the rub rail. I don't know where to connect this line on the engine. I have that port hooked to the battery overflow. :)

Question 2 - I need some pictures of the dash so I can see how it was when new. Mine has been spray painted black.

Question 3 - My info center isn't working. Not lit up at all. I'm thinking it is toast but am not spending tons of money to get it fixed. Advice on this is always welcome. Speedo is dead also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back