1999 GTX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
OH well... I made the jump from carbs on this ski I was shocked when it started. Owner said it wasn't running right so after some haggling I picked it up for a price I was comfortable with. No trailer. I'll do a compression test first thing then begin the usual fuel system redo, oil system checks, and get her ready for the Prom. :) I am a little excited about this ski. I know it doesn't have much on the 96 and 97 GTXs I have but it gets cool points for being newer and the fuel injection is pretty attractive as long as it is working correctly. :D Anything I need to be wary of on this ski?1999 GTX RFI A.jpg1999 GTX RFI.jpg

Last edited:
I ought one 2yrs ago for 300 bones with 0psi mag. Honed it, slapped new piston, cut gasket to fit just that cylinder and bam, 15tpsi. She still banging oroudly. Only thing i noticed(first rfi as well) was fuel pump went. Have replaced a few in the past. Thinking, to redo the system and mount one externally...

I ought one 2yrs ago for 300 bones with 0psi mag. Honed it, slapped new piston, cut gasket to fit just that cylinder and bam, 15tpsi. She still banging oroudly. Only thing i noticed(first rfi as well) was fuel pump went. Have replaced a few in the past. Thinking, to redo the system and mount one externally...

That's gettin it done !!! Good info.

I saw you post this on FB a couple days ago, nice ski. I would have bit at the price you got it for, you'll be able to turn it no problem later if you want. Let's just hope the fuel pump holds...

You mean to tell me...... you can't remove the Mag Rave valve on the RFI without removing the exhaust? This is BS. :D :D Good thing I'm removing the exhaust.

Same as the other 787 raves. Take the cap, spring and clip off. Then take the threaded top off and bellow off. Finally you can remove the body and valve without removing the pipe.

That is what I did.... no come out. :) Exhaust must be removed so I've been told. The rave housings are supposedly larger. It sure won't come off.

That is what I did.... no come out. :) Exhaust must be removed so I've been told. The rave housings are supposedly larger. It sure won't come off.

It's only been about 15 years since I worked on a RFI so you might be correct but that would suck if it's true. Can you remove the housing first then the valve last?

It's only been about 15 years since I worked on a RFI so you might be correct but that would suck if it's true. Can you remove the housing first then the valve last?
Nope.... "no come out" I noticed the valves aren't slotted on this ski either.

Honestly I have never owned a 787 with slotted raves that I can remember and never had a single issue.

I figured out how to get the rave valves OFF without removing the manifold. Apparently when you are giggling it around and trying to get it off just get your wife to walk up. It jumps right off. LOL I will have to study on this a bit. :D

Honestly I have never owned a 787 with slotted raves that I can remember and never had a single issue.

It made a huge difference on my wife's ski which is a 1997 GTX but not so much of a difference on my 96. If this 1999 RFI is faster than my wife's ski... I'm keeping it for me. LOL I checked a 2003 Seadoo with a 787 and it topped out at 49mph. I' m not sure it was a GTX though. Sure did accelerate smooth. :)

Sold my gtx rfi and serviced the buyers 97' gtx. From what he saying, the rfi D-stroys the carbed model. The carbed got complete carb rebuilt, wearring stock impellor was t!ts..blah blah...think, you'll be stoked:thumbs-up:

Cool Beans. I am planning on sending the injectors off to be cleaned. I priced new ones.... someone told me they were cheap. LOL Looks like $170 each. I don't think mine are bad but I want to get them cleaned. I doubt they ever were. Gotta get this bad boy spot on and reliable.

You're getting to the point where the Candoo will come in handy, especially now that you picked up an RFI model. $400 includes licences for 4 skis.. You'd also be able to program keys and adjust the base timing.

I think you're 96' could be off on timing may be why it's down on performance, victim of crank twist, a timing light and a Candoo would confirm this.

The RFI and Carbed 787 are both rated at 110 HP and the ones I ran were dead even. If your carbs are not working correctly then yes, the RFI would be faster.

The RFI and Carbed 787 are both rated at 110 HP and the ones I ran were dead even. If your carbs are not working correctly then yes, the RFI would be faster.

At the time I was trying to address the transition phase on the 96 and 97 GTX. The RFI was really smooth with all that. Very smooth so I just had to let my wife take a ride on it. Top speed was right there with our GTXs 49mph on the GPS. Sissy's is faster than that now. :)

Boy O Boy... I wish I could leave these skis "ugly and dirty" but I can't. Spent a few hours and lots of sweat cleaning slop out of the bilge. Then decided to pull the fuel and oil tank... what a sloppy mess. Ick !! Coming along though. Waiting for a cylinder, got one bored, gasket surfaces cleaned, paint on a few items. Waiting on the fuel injectors to come back from servicing. Some dufus thought the ski needed painting. It's coming off but I'll spend some time with the finish and will most likely order some graphics. I bought some Hammered Silver to paint the engine parts and such. Close enough for me on the color. :) The second picture of the head that is machined and has a SBT tag on it. I didn't want to use those so I took one off another ski I had.
I read about SBT machining the combustion chamber to lower compression and add life to their engines.
787 Head and Cover Painted.jpg787 Head Pitted.jpg787 Head SBT Modified.jpgDrive Shaft and Rear.jpgExhaust Manifold.jpgFuel Tank Area.jpgFuel Tank Area3.jpgFuel Tank.jpgOil Tank2.jpg

Last edited:

Think I should change the fuel pump while I have the tank out?Fuel Tank.jpg Too late... it's going back in without testing. It's not a bad job anyway. :)

Last edited:
I read about people complaining about the BLUE OIL for the injection system. I now understand why they complain. LOL It dyes everything. What brand oil is that ??

You should change the two filters in the tank before you put it back in.

The blue oil is TCW-3 crap oil.

THere are actually 2 fuel filters in the tank see previous thread below....

Here is a good, not to expensive, sorta needed maintance that should be done, possible every couple of years, is changing your fuel filters -- (2 strainers ) .... IN tank filters, just by removing your fuel pump assy, by removing your glove box compartment (4 retainers) comes right out, and there is fuel pump module, remove all retaining nuts, main fuel line, vent line, and wiring connector, then remove pump assy, and take off bottom plate, then you have 2 fuel stainers (they are called) -- (advanced auto parts sells them ) 1 - part # fs242 -- approx 15.00 - 2 - part # fs220 -- approx 10.00 ---- also, if you want to change the bosch fuel pump at this point, they also have the original bosch fuel pump and part # is 20770241 -- approx price is 93.00, and then, take and remove all the fuel in tank, wipe clean with a shop towel, and re-assemble --
**** this is our fuel system repairs (along with 2 fuel injectors) , there is no problems with gray fuel lines, and carb overhauls, etc ****
and DONT put any fuel inj cleaner, etc in the fuel, (just clean 87 octane is sufficient)

Reactions: MRK
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back