1999 GTX RFI oil pump bleeding

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsbj123

I just purchased a 1999 GTX RFI. The previous owner was using an unknown 2 stroke oil. I purged the reservoir and blew out the line that goes through the engine and changed the filter. I refilled with XPS synthetic per the dealer($50 per gallon *&#@*). When I changed the filter it emptied the line that goes into the pump. After refilling ,the line is full and I don't see any bubbles. Do I need to bleed the pump? If so what is the procedure?

I did a thorough inspection of this ski. It has about 120 hours. Both cylinders have 150 psi compression. I changed the counterballance oil (fun) . I changed the jet pump oil. I added fuel stabilizer. New spark plugs. Greased the 1 zerk for the drive shaft splines. Washed and waxed. It runs great. Am I missing anything? It will just sit in my garage for several months now waiting for Seattle sun.

Thank you.

Yes, you need to bleed the pump.

Start by removing the small screw in-line with the main feed hose... that will bleed out any air in the hose. Once that's done, put it back in, start the engine, and let it idle while holding the arm on the pump at the "Full Throttle" position. You will be able to see the air pump up the small hoses between the pump, and the manifold/engine.

It's going to smoke like crazy... but it will clear out the first time you ride it.

One last thought... since you need to bleed the system anyway... I would change the small hoses. They have a tendency of breaking, and killing the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back