1999 GSX RFI grey fuel lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebeebeer

So I have been lurking around learning as much as I can. I see the "tempo grey fuel lines" == bad. And in all those threads I see to clean/rebuild the carbs.

My question is what do I do if I have an FI motor?

The injected engines never used tempo so don’t worry. I would replace the in tank fuel filters. If you search here someone listed the part numbers to get them at autozone.

Last edited:
Does it have two carbs or a single throttle body?
Well, sorry to sound like such a noob, but I am. Where might I look if I am standing at the back of the boat to be able to tell?

EDIT: After further review and digging through the service manual, it is definitely fuel injected. So what about all the grey fuel lines. Is that just coincidence?

Last edited:
They are different on the RFI and DI skis. Don't worry about it.
THe only ones of concern were on the carb skis from the early 90's to about 2000 they are gray and say "TEMPO" on them.

Excellent, good to know. So, 1 more quick question since from lurking I can tell you are a trusted member of the forum, since I bought this I haven't done anything to it. What should some things be that I need to make sure I do prior to attempting to take it to the lake? I am going to go through the trailer for sure as it is a bit rusty and I never trust someone else's bearing job ;)

I would change the in-tank fuel filters.
Change the in-line oil filter and verify the correct API-TC full synthetic oil.
Change the jet pump oil and inspect the wear ring and impeller.
Install a new set of spark plugs.

I would change the in-tank fuel filters.
Change the in-line oil filter and verify the correct API-TC full synthetic oil.
Change the jet pump oil and inspect the wear ring and impeller.
Install a new set of spark plugs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the PO used the wrong oil, so I will need to drain the oil tank. I suspect it because there is an empty jug of oil in the front hatch that is wrong and I can't see any other reason for it to be there than they dumped it in there.

So now I need to go google how to do the jet pump, wear ring and impeller. Does the engine need to be out for any of this?

By the way, where at in Cali? I grew up by yosemite.

Yes, that is a RFI fuel injected ski.
THe Tempo line in your picture is just a water line for the exhaust system, not a fuel line.

THe bigger question is what happened to the front of your cylinder? It looks like it is covered in bondo and spray painted over.

Yes, that is a RFI fuel injected ski.
THe Tempo line in your picture is just a water line for the exhaust system, not a fuel line.

THe bigger question is what happened to the front of your cylinder? It looks like it is covered in bondo and spray painted over.
Yeah kinda weird. I went out and scraped some off and it looks fi e under it. Not sure what that's about...

I would keep an eye on it.

If I had to guess the cylinder cracked from freezing with water in it and someone tried to cover it up with a crappy J B Weld patch. They never came from the factory looking like that.

gah, I will take a closer look when it's not dark and I can see better. I scraped it all off the head and it was fine. Need to check cylinder next.

Looking at the picture again it looks like they even dribbled it on the rubber mat under the fuel rail.

I wish I had a clear view of another one to compare it to. I don't really know what I am looking at and the pictures I am taking aren't really helpful.

It should be clean and well defined like this
5956f6a29f260e993af28e181d5cf208.jpg

I dont know if i would grind it off. If its there its probably there for a reason. Maybe wait if it becomes a problem. Might be opening a can of worms on that

My only thought is the last thing I want to do is get out on the water and have it become a problem. I wouldn't take all the material away, just enough to see if there is a valid reason.

There seems to be a few "redneck" things about this boat that the PO's did. If I do a little grinding and find that there is in fact an issue I will try to repair it better.

Well the proper repair will be to pull the engine and replace that cylinder with a good one. That means at minimum a complete topend rebuild.

If it runs and doesn't leak I'd just leave it as is for now, but be prepared to replace in the future.

well, it starts right up, but that's all I have tried. The bilge is all nasty and needs to be cleaned and figured I would swap whatever lines, gas and oil, I can get my hands on and can figure the right sizes for. I would like to do a compression test as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back