1999 GSX Limited No fire at PTO coil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocket6722

First let me say thank you to all that have responded to my questions. The only problem I have left.... I am not getting power/pulse to the white wire going to the PTO coil. I marked the PTO flywheel to make sure when the trigger coil passes over the raised points on the mag/stator drum that I am picking up a signal. Every time the trigger passes over one of these points my meter readings change, I guess??? indicating that it is working. What other test can I perform?? or does this mean that it is possible the mpem is bad. I do hear two beeps when I initially connect the lanyard, then about 7 or 8 seconds later it gives me a single beep that last for two seconds. I have cleaned all the metal particles from the stator and everything checks out O.K. The resistance on the coil is 259ohms, which is in what the repair manual states. I just hate to spend $1500 dollars for a new motor and cannot resolve the spark issue.

Have you checked your stator? The long beep sounds like low fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be timed out, timer shut off because motor was not started. Clean all the connections and put it all back together, then put one *plug wire on the safety lug
(prevents arcing, combustion of any present fumes) and with plug in other wire, held
against a ruffened head bolt to ground the plug, spin engine with starter and tell us if you have spark. Insure you have small ground wires connected at rear box.

You should test the output for each coil signal at the MPEM wire loom coming from the big plug on the face of the MPEM. You can poke a sewing needle into the two coil signal white wires in the wire loom up by the mpem connector and connect your meter to that. This will tell you if the problem is in the connector connection of the terminals or if the mpem is not passing out the signal to the pto coil wire after you figure out which it is, the connector, or the mpem. This would not be the first Sea Doo with a bad wire in the wire loom going to the rear of the hull, or have bad wire connections at the mpem connectors or on the top of the coil box. Bill

I checked the wires today and they both read about the same for ohm test. I did find my PTO coil was cracked and it does not have a reading/resistance across it. I hooked my fluke meter Black wire to Neg battery post and red wire to white wire at the coil ( disconnected from the coil ). On the Mag (white) wire with my meter set to read AC I have 10.92 volts when I spin the motor. On the PTO (white) wire I have 286 mv when I spin the motor. I hope this information helps. Please let me know what else I can check. Thank You in advance for help.

switch your 1 and 2 white wires to the coils and check for spark, this will verify that your pulse signal is working for both and tell you if that coil is bad or if the pulse signal is bad.
of course it won't run because it will be 180 out of phase, so don't expect that, just checking spark.

That is how I found out the PTO coil was bad. I actually swapped coils to see if it would make a difference, bolted the good coil (MAG side) in place where the PTO coil was at... and no change. That is when I connected my fluke meter to see what the actual reading was... it was 10.9 volts to the white wire from MPEM to Mag coil. On the PTO side the white wire from MPEM to the coil I had 286 millivolts?? The MPEM on there is one I purchased used, I'm wondering if that might be the culprit. I ordered a new coil from the dealership yesterday. Thanks Again for all the help.

1999 Seadoo GSX Limited no fire at PTO coil

Thanks to Everyone who took their time and knowledge and shared it with me. The reason the MPEM was only firing at one coil and not both is the WRONG MPEM. The person that sold it to me as "being pulled off a 99 GSXL" was far from the truth, it was from a 1998 GSX.....learned a valuable lesson. Rebuilt the carbs, changed out the fuel lines, cleaned metal particles from Stator, now its running fine other than a noisy rod bearing. Thanks again and a special thanks to Jim in Michigan.

We could not have guessed that! We seem to rely on our Crystal BALLS! :)
Thanks for posting conclusion & happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back