1999 GS runs slow until impeller is out of water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

doboshine

I have a 1999 GS. Didnt run very well so I rebuilt the carb. Now it starts and idles great but it bogs when throttle is pushed and takes some throttle play to get on plane, but runs slow. However, if i hit a wake and the impeller free spins, it takes off like a rocket!! Once i let off the throttle, it goes back to where it started. Any thoughts?

Another question. On the carb, there are there cables that are connected - the choke (top), throttle (middle). And a third one on the bottom. What is the bottom one? I ask because it is not very springy meaning that it doesn’t snap back like the others

The third cable goes to your oil pump to increase flow with throttle. Sounds like you still have fuel delivery issues. Did you rebuild with genuine mikuni brand carb kits?
Also, do a compression check and report the numbers.

I have 2 2005 sea doo GTI’s (717), and they were doing the exact same thing. I purchased them from a guy that couldn’t figure out the issue either. They would run about 25 mph and barely get on plane. If you were to add a second person they would sink. I originally checked the compression and they were at 137 psi or so on each cylinder. I changed out the carbs thinking that could be the problem. Once I changed out the carbs they would no longer take off once you hit the top of the wave a few times. We went back to the carbs and found out that the Mikuni carb that was ordered on Amazon had the wrong size Jets. So we are re-jetting the carbs at the moment. We also checked the rotary valves and housing for wear on 1 of them and that was fine as well. Just to explain it a little better, out of water the skis will hit the rev-limiter, in the water they have very little power.

I have a 1999 GS. Didnt run very well so I rebuilt the carb. Now it starts and idles great but it bogs when throttle is pushed and takes some throttle play to get on plane, but runs slow. However, if i hit a wake and the impeller free spins, it takes off like a rocket!! Once i let off the throttle, it goes back to where it started. Any thoughts?

It’s most likely the pop-off pressure in the carb

I tested mine and it was around 30 psi. Book says they should be around 36 psi. Would 30 cause this? I also noticed that there was a lot of gas pooled under the diaphragm around the needle. The gas was all the way up to the rocker.

Back