1998 XPL fuelling questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technohedge

Hi Guys,

just taken charge of an xpl, has been sitting for a while. Was only running on one cylinder so i cleaned out the carbs and now appears to be going well (not water tested yet)

Couple of questions below if anyone can help me out:

1/ when putting carbs back on i noticed there is two notches on the throttle cam/wheel for the cable to attach to. One holds the throtle plates slightly open and the other firmly shut at no throttle movement. Which one is it meant to be on? (forgot to take note when dis assembling!)

2/ The carbs were gummed up with BROWN crud (not green tar type stuff). The original grey lines are still on the craft. Cut a couple open and saw brown discoloration inside but no green gunk? What is the brown stuff and do the lines still need replacing?

3/ Are the high speed adjusters on the top or the bottom of the carbs? The top ones are the ones with T handles on them and are accesible from above.

4/Im a little paranoid about 'going lean' and burning out a good engine. Is there any sign that this is going to happen and how to guard against it?

Thnaks guys I know thats a lof of ask straight off. Jus want to get it right before hitting the water.

cheers

1. Use the top hole, the other hole is for the oil injection cable.

2. The brown gunk is the fuel lines deteriorating inside and the bad stuff you should be worried about. The green is just oxidation of the brass nipples and doesn't create a problem as it normally doesn't actually get inside the carb. Change your fuel lines.

3. The T-handle adjusters are the low-speed adjusters and the ones with the limiter caps are the high speed. Set them all to the factory settings in the manual.

4. If you adjust the mixture screws properly, change the fuel lines, and there are no air leaks in the engine or fuel system, you should be good to go.

Chester

Ok thanks,

for the oil pump cable, it dosent seem to be attached to the carb? wasnt on there when i removed carbs and i havent touched the oil pump cable. However its still operating when i pull the throttle? (rotationg the pump drum).

What might this be connected to and if its not the carb would it not be necessary to adjust the pump sync after carb job?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back