1998 Sportster Port Engine Won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bombtech

Hello all,
I'm having problems with my port side engine on my 98 sportster with a 717 engine. I've only had the boat for about 2 weeks when the port side engine wouldn't start immediately after I had stopped the engine to watch some dolphins. When I tried to restart the engine, I just heard a click. Almost like the teeth on the starter weren't aligned, engine would not turn over. I waited about an hour later and the engine would turn over now, but it sounded much differently then the other engine. I limped back to the landing, brought it home and removed the starter, bench tested it, assuming it was the problem. Starter worked fine. I then tested the compression (90 psi on both cylinders) and checked the spark. All seemed to be ok, I replaced the spark plugs and the engine appears to be getting fuel, but still will not start. The engine will rotate and try to start, but won't even sputter. Port side engine still sounds different then starboard, but will not start. Any ideas????:confused:

The compression should be idealy at 150 psi. If the other ones starts up your lucky...that is borderline starting or not starting...

Karl

Are you sure your compression tester is working properly?
As for "When I tried to restart the engine, I just heard a click" that just sounds like a dead battery.
If I remember right, the speedster 717's used a dual battery setup... perhaps the charging system for the secondary battery isn't working right, or the battery is just at its end of life.

As for cranking but not starting, how fast is it cranking? If its going too slow (battery) then it won't start up...

If it is going fast enough, it needs specific things to run: Air/Fuel, Spark, Compression, and an exhaust system that isn't plugged/blocked.

So verify you have spark (most important), verify it is getting fuel (wet etc), then verify compression again.

:agree: Right on the money...especially with low compression it should whirl as it turns over.

Karl

Are you sure your compression tester is working properly?
As for "When I tried to restart the engine, I just heard a click" that just sounds like a dead battery.
If I remember right, the speedster 717's used a dual battery setup... perhaps the charging system for the secondary battery isn't working right, or the battery is just at its end of life.

As for cranking but not starting, how fast is it cranking? If its going too slow (battery) then it won't start up...

If it is going fast enough, it needs specific things to run: Air/Fuel, Spark, Compression, and an exhaust system that isn't plugged/blocked.

So verify you have spark (most important), verify it is getting fuel (wet etc), then verify compression again.
When the port engine was just 'clicking' the starboard engine would still start as normal. There's only one battery and it seems pretty large and looks very new. Now, the port engine finally turns over but it sounds different then the starboard engine. If anything it actually turns over faster then the engine that's normal. I've only had this boat two weeks, so if i have to rebuild an engine already, it's gonna be a touch pill to swallow.

Still stumped on this one and maybe in denial. I double checked the compression today, both cyl still at 90psi. Is there any chance that the rave valves are not closing properly? I checked the spark and it seemed a little weak to me, but I don't know what's normal either. I just want to explore all options before I cancel the rest of the summer because of a tired engine.

hey bomb...can cut wires back 1/4in on plug boot side..dont think that boat has raves..Sportster right?...stole this possible solution.......Unplug the black/red wire between the mpem and coil and see if it starts. If it does, you have an issue with a switch or the rev limiter in the mpem. If it doesn't, the stator or coil are the places to look. Also, if it does start with that unplugged, be prepared to kill with the choke since the stop and lanyard buttons are bypassed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back