1998 seadoo sportster twin Rotex

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MONDELEZ

First off , hello everyone! I have a sportster which was running fine last season just before the end of the season the throttle cable broke , which I fixed , winterized it and put it away for the remainder of the year . This season I took the boat out on the water , the drivers side engine will not exceed 4000 rpms . I took the boat out and ran it in my driveway in neutral it will rev to 4000 which I believe is normal, in gear it will reach to 7000rpms what can cause the low rpms when it’s in load ? . I have since cleaned he carbs , swopped rectifiers from one side to the other , checked compression I’m getting 150/145 on the problematic engine , the other is reading slightly higher. Not sure what else to check or replace . Please keep in mind I am a novice when it comes to these engines or boats in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Running the boat on the trailer will tell you nothing at all. Also... free reving the engines can be dangerous. They can run away, and go well past their design RPM's.

Is the engine that is low, the same one that had the cable break? If it is... make sure the throttle will open all the way.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that testing on land is not a good idea , I did run it with water and no more the 10 seconds . Yes the motor running low rpms is the one that had the cable break. To make sure I was running full throttle I manually pushed the cables on the carb open but didn’t change anything

I was thinking that maybe I damaged the neutral switch when removing the shifter assembly hats why the engine is running low rmp because I thinks it’s in neutral, but if that was the case why is the other engine running fine also I should be able to start the boat if it’s not in neutral. This seems to be a common problem from what I have been reading but seems as though most have not solved this problem

It would run low on both engines if it was the switch.
Open the air box, and make sure the choke, and butterflies are opening all the way. Visual is the only way to know for sure.

I will double check that and report back , I believe I already checked that when I had the carb off the first time but won’t hurt to Check again. I was thinking of swapping the carb with the other engine and fuel line to eliminate that. I also read somewhere that the if the rectifier went bad it messes with the rpm. I swapped out the rectifier but problem still there . What you think the odds are both rectifiers are bad ? but then again if both were bad one would think that both engines would be behaving the same way

Last edited:
I will double check that and report back , I believe I already checked that when I had the carb off the first time but won’t hurt to Check again. I was thinking of swapping the carb with the other engine and fuel line to eliminate that. I also read somewhere that the if the rectifier went bad it messes with the rpm. I swapped out the rectifier but problem still there . What you think the odds are both rectifiers are bad ? but then again if both were bad one would think that both engines would be behaving the same way
So I double checked today if the butterfly’s are opening up fully today which they are , I was already mst sure they were just double checked . I’m in the process of swapping out the carbs as we speak. Going to take it out on the water tomorrow to test . I will report back

So I swapped out the carbs and took it to the local river .Both engines were running at low rpm with a accompanying alarm , which I believe to be overheating. I have bit the bullet and divided to take it in. I will let you all know what they say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back