1998 Seadoo Speedster project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankeneyou

I've always wanted a 98 speedster since I first laid eyes on one a long time ago. After riding in [MENTION=82130]snikwad003[/MENTION] 's challenger on the FL trip it got me back in the hunt.

They aren't real common in Ohio so people always want stupid prices for them when they do come up for sale. I found one for sale at a decent price on facebook, but it was in Nebraska.

Seeing as I had thanksgiving week off and nothing planned I made the 12+ hour drive each way to pick it up. I pretty much drove straight there and back other than a 3 hour truck nap on the way there.

It's in decent physical condition other than some stupid stickers on the side and some hillbilly airbrush painted something on the bow cover. The fiberglass cover was an option anyways so I'm not even sure I'll use it.

Seats are decent, just some light cracks but I am looking at recovering options as they seem a little brittle.

The starboard engine had 150/150 psi and port has 135/135. The port engine does turn over very slowly, so I'm hoping a rebuilt starter and the compression readings will go up.

This will be a stock resto, nothing really fancy planned as who knows how long I'll keep it with my Seadoo ADHD, lol. I really needed something smaller and more fuel efficient than our other boat, but I bet this thing drinks as much or more than our bowrider with a 350.

Here are pics from the CL ad. I busted my phone screen all to hell when I was checking out the boat, so was too ticked off to remember to take more pics.

128.jpg
129.jpg
130.jpg
131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough drive but made it home with no wheel bearing or tire issues. I pumped the bearing buddies full of grease at every stop and I'm sure the below freezing weather helped.
133.jpg
134.jpg

I sent two core 787s I had in the garage off for rebuild to Tom at SES the last week in November. I figured if I had to rebuild one and go through a long boring break-in I might as well do them at the same time and know they are both fresh.

I did pull both pumps off and had no clue these came with big hub pumps. Both were in mint condition with new OEM wear rings and perfect impellers.

Firstly----Congrats on the best seadoo hull under 18'.

If you loved sniks boat, this is in an entirely different bracket. The bow cover, I don't have one but the 5th seat is the suicide seat. I have bounced adults out of that seat. Consider this a 4 seater and keep the bow cover on it for storage. Yes, these had the big hubs. Just wicked boats, I bought mine new in '99 and still have it.

Secondly----STOP SENDING YOUR MONEY OUT ON REBUILT ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!

You have the talent to do it yourself. I don't want to hear about "I want a warranty", if you build a good engine with quality parts a warranty is WORTHLESS since you're paying up front for the good stuff. If you want that mint just painted finish buy a bead blaster. So much more satisfaction when it fires for the first time on your build.

Anywho, your gonna love it!

Thanks Racer. Yeah, I know I can build my own I just figured I already had too many projects to deal with it this winter. 5 skis to get ready to sell in the spring and the boat project, plus I start traveling every other week for work again in Jan.

Question on your speedster though, have you ever felt the need for or looked into trim tabs?

Gotta get more guys building their own engines!

Trim tab, Hell no! If you start to porpoise just back out of the throttle and then roll right back into it. I know other guys on here have and they like it. I'm selective of when I go out on the boat. If it's windy I don't go out. The biggest reasons I won't put a tab on-----I'm not drilling any holes in my boat, I can't bring myself to install a radio. And the other reason---it's ugly as sin, perhaps if there was one on either side to look symmetrical but not a single tab in the middle. I'd rather get beat up all day in rough water than have that hang off my boat. Here's where I put the stock though, If the Mrs. isn't complaining about the ride there is no need to change a thing.

**EDIT

Post the hillbilly art please

Here is the hillbilly art. After I took this picture I went through a few rounds of gel stripper. It was working well until it started to eat into the gelcoat. Whoever painted it must have used 9 overlapping layers.

Looks like I'll have to sand and just paint it white. I doubt it's worth trying to re-gel it.
136.jpg

Nice dude. I was thinking that i got bad fuel milage, but after the FL ride I was supprised at how much better it did than i thought it would, as long as I wasnt towing in a 4tec. Your hull should be better on fuel any way. Looks good.

Well after sitting in the garage a few days she is all de-iced.

Started peeling the old stickers off the engine hatch and then removing it to pull the engines.

Everyone will be jealous of the sweet collection of mini-discs of hair band and heavy metal that came with it. I'm starting to understand the weird dragon thing they painted on the front.
152.jpg
153.jpg
154.jpg
155.jpg

156.jpg

Do these boats count hours anytime that the key is connected? Or maybe these engines are breaking some 2 stroke longevity records lol. I don't think they've ever been touched.
157.jpg

Whoa that is over a year of run time. I loved minidiscs, my pops still uses them a bit.
Yeah I don't get it. Rental hours says over 12k, which doesn't make sense as you can't reset total life hours, so rental should never be higher than total.

And if you'd like some mini disks and a Sony head unit they are all yours!

Strange, I know I read the hours on Snik's challenger down in FL and it read correctly. I think it was around 300 hours but can't remember exactly.

Yeah it was like 310, but even if the key sat on it all day and all night every weekend it still "goes to sleep" and thanks for the offer but santa hooked me up :cheers:

image.jpg

There is a fella that claimed something like 58.9 gps mph on a challenger 1800 with cable operated vts. A few people have put tabs or a tab in the center and like it but I want to pick the bow up a little, and add some power, and props, and rpms, errrrrr leave it stock with factory like vts. 2 variables I don't have figured is how to use seadoo vts buttons and what happens with the rod connecting the nozzles

I always considered VTS, but kept talking my self out of it do to the length of the boat being 16'-5" and a ski being 1/2 that length and 3X narrower. The VTS is a system that can be powered separately from the MPEM so it's just switches and power. the "brains" are in the modules. You would just need to run 2 sets of switches to keep it simple.

Here's how I added it to my HX

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?79375-How-to-add-Genuine-Seadoo-electric-VTS-to-your-HX

As far as 58.9 in a Challenger with twin 787's, um......I don't see that happening easily/at all. My Speedster with me alone and down on gas on glass water was 53mph on GPS. To pick up an additional 5mph+ you would need way too much money and work to get there. The Challenger 1800 is a big girl, they get up on plane quick and ride smooth, way too much draft to get high speeds. Not impossible I guess, but not stock either.

Now you guys have me thinking about vts, lol. I pulled both engines out today so now would be the time to add it if ever. I know I've already got 2 good VTS modules sitting in storage as well. Just not sure it's necessary.

My other boat is a 22' pig weighing in at around 3800 lbs. I had to replace the outdrive on it last year when some fishing line around the prop shaft melted a seal.

When I was testing the replacement drive I didn't have the whale tail on it like the old drive. It was like a completely different boat. Much slower holeshot and didn't handle as well. I honestly thought the gearing was wrong in the replacement drive. I bought a new whale tail and installed it and was right back to normal. I couldn't believe the difference without it.

It makes me wonder if just a set of tabs on the speedster would be better.

Here is the old girl after I painted the red a few years back. It was so faded and I was sick of buffing annually, lol.
166.jpg

Engine bay will get the super clean treatment on Saturday since it won't get above freezing tomorrow.

It's a real pain to get to anything on the front of those engines in there. Has anyone found decent pricing on OEM new starters? I could rebuild, but I'd feel even better with brand new ones in there.
167.jpg

I removed more strange stickers today, not even sure what "budgeiser" is supposed to mean other than some play on bud diesel.

Also removed two sets of reg numbers because you know who needs to remove the previous owners set when you can just put new ones below them, lol.

Next I spent about an hour at the car wash and a gallon of purple power. It's at least clean enough to work on but will need one more cleaning before any reassembly.
170.jpg
171.jpg
172.jpg
173.jpg

This thing is looking good and now you make me want one lee! I can help you out on the front cover, i can paint or gel coat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back