1998 GTX Limited fuel contamination?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxx

Howdy, my name is Jay.

I have a 1998 Sea-doo GTX limited. I'm getting dirty fuel in the top Block. It stopped last summer, and I couldn't get it started. I connected cooling to it trying to start it a few months back and found water leaking in from the exhaust manifold from the 4-bolt flange I couldn’t figure out why I had more water in the bilge than my other Jet ski and that was why. The previous owner snapped the bottom nut on the 4-bolt flange. I think water contamination might have gotten in the carburetor(s). I took the head cover off and noticed dirty fuel spraying into the piston chambers when I jarred the engine. I checked the fuel and fuel Filter, both are clean. The Cooling water circuit is clean when I disconnected the Outlet connection from the Block. In the early stages of trouble shooting I cleaned the piston Chambers before I knew the source of water entering the exhaust. It tried to fireup. I purchase a new exhaust manifold with the stud and bolt. I replaced it and still have a problem with the contamination entering the cylinder from the bottom, I take it’s injecting it from the Carburetor but I'm not sure. I purchased a top end block gasket kit and two carburetor kits to start the rebuild. I’ve been searching the Shop Repair Manual and I’m stuck between fuel contamination and water in the engine troubleshooting guidelines. Please advise on what components require cleaning, replacement or any other recommendations.

Thank you for your time,

Hoorah! GO NAVY!

LCDR USN(Ret)

Really not sure what you have going on.
Your fuel system is either clean or it isn’t, there’s no such thing as dirty fuel in the engine.

The carbs need to be rebuilt correctly with only Genuine Mikuni parts. New fuel selector and strainer.

Oil system needs new small lines from pump to intake and a new filter and only API-TC full synthetic oil.

There’s no way to get water into the engine unless you have a blown head gasket or run it on the hose without the engine running or the exhaust spraying into the carbs.

The water is my fault. I was starting the hose before I started the Jet Ski. My first set. I read the correct procedure after I down loaded the manual (over a year later). I didnt connect the dots. What is my next step for cleaning the contamination? Do I need to take everything down to parade rest?

Thanks again for your help,
Hoorah!

You need to get it running immediatly and burn the water out of the engine by running it on the lake. Water will not get into the carbs by having the hose on and the engine off.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!! I have the head cover off. I plan to blow air down the cylinders, replace the gaskets and spark plugs, and I have to get some locktite for the fasteners. It will be a couple of days.

Hoorah!
Thanks for the awesome advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back