1998 GSX Limited 5 amp MPEM fuse blows

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmiller412

The 5 amp MPEM fuse blows if i plug the DESS key in or if I just press the start button. I am getting all sorts of answers from people. I've unplugged the stator and pressed the button, and it still blows that way. Ive disconnected the gauges from the computer and pressed the button, it still blows. I've tried the bench test, but I get no results because all of the instructions for a bench test don't explain well enough. Does anyone have input on this issue? Is the MPEM bad?

Do you have VTS? If so, unplug BOTH the module harness and the motor harness. Then see if it still blows.

If so, then likely the MPEM. One strange thing is, I believe the MPEN gets its power feed from the Stator. So for it to still blow, sounds like a wire may be shorted or crossed.
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] may have additional input.

There is a common connection in the MPEM through the VTS module. If the module is bad, it can pop the MPEM fuse.

I can't answer where the plugs are at this time, I'm at 35,000 feet. I can look later tonight when I get home.

I found the plugs. When I took the cap off of the VTS box, it was full of water. I'm assuming that's what's shorting it out. I found that the boot on the trim rod connected to the steering nozzles was torn wide open

Normal issue. But still unplug them and re-test.

The motor is almost always still good. I'd say 90% ish of the time.

So it fires right up when I disconnected the VTS plugs. What do I need to replace to be able to use the trim again?

Test the motor, replace the module, replace the torn boot.

THANK YOU for following my suggestions. Some simply KNOW in their heart "that is not the issue" kind of thing. Each thing is a piece of the puzzle and diagnostics.

The motors are more often good than they are bad when it comes to a VTS issue, (modules fail often).

So, it is worth testing. Simply leave it unplugged, run two wires to the terminals you can see in the plug. It should spin in one direction. Switch the wires and it should go the other way.

The VTS module is not a cheap item, it can easily be $100. Because of how I am, I would replace it (and the boot) and make things right. You can do a project where you eliminate the module using relays. Costs under 30 bucks. The one issue is that you will not see where the VTS is on your gauge.
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] may have a module and I'm sure he will have a motor if you need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back