1998 Challenger-Why would you paint it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrummerJ

I am going to look at a 1998 Challenger for sale. Both engines have been rebuilt. Interior re-done. He has receipts for the work so I know it is good. But..he mentioned he had it professionally painted. All white. Interior and exterior. Decals have all been removed and only the green trim is left. Is there a reason it would be done other than aesthetics? I am new to boats. I do not know what to look for if there was an issue being covered up by the paint. I mean, why paint an already pretty much completely white boat..white?

Thanks.

22 years old gelcoat that hasn't been taken care of is going to look pretty dull. I've seen sevral boats been painted to get a fresh look....that said it can be to cover up gelcoatcracks but in my opinion thats doesn't have to be a bad thing.....but it can [emoji848]
Sorry not much help

No, no good reason and it will not last. Even old faded gelcoat can be wet sanded and buffed out. The paint will never be as durable and will start to peel at some point in time.

22 years old gelcoat that hasn't been taken care of is going to look pretty dull. I've seen sevral boats been painted to get a fresh look....that said it can be to cover up gelcoatcracks but in my opinion thats doesn't have to be a bad thing.....but it can [emoji848]
Sorry not much help

Thanks.

No, no good reason and it will not last. Even old faded gelcoat can be wet sanded and buffed out. The paint will never be as durable and will start to peel at some point in time.

That is what I thought as well. Same money could be used to just buff the heck out of it at a shop. Unless its full of spider cracks or there was some body work done and the paint is hiding it. Is there any way to get into the hull and see on these boats?
Once again I say, why paint a white boat white?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back