1998 challenger 1800, aftermarket mpems?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

smdts

I have a 98 challenger 1800 with twin 787s and a bad mpem, not waking up or responding to dess or 5 presses of start button, all powers and grounds measure good, all fuses are ok.
I am quite happy to lose dess, I will fit an aftermarket transponder immo and a switch type safety lanyard.
I am quite happy to totally rework my loom, I have worked in electronics for decades and have done 5 car and motorcycle efi conversions using megasquirt so I am happy to create my own looms and make sure everything is waterproof, properly routed and fused etc.
Will the aftermarket 96 787 jetski mpems be adaptable to run my 98 boat engines? This are the kind I am looking at ebay item number 254154901795 .
I cant find any aftermarket mpems that claim to be compatible with 98 787s, but that might be because the jetskis changed earlier?
If they are not directly compatible could i fit parts off a 96 ski to my 98 engine to make them work?
is the difference the stators and pickups or is the difference the coils or is there more fundimental differences between a 96 ski engine and a 98 boat engine?
Where am I best to find detailled information and schematics?
Any findings I make I will gladly share on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_170623.jpg
    IMG_20200911_170623.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 4
I know they don't have it listed but maybe reach out to them. Scroll down the side and you'll see MPEM conversion.
Thanks I have emailled him, even if he doesnt have an off the shelf conversion because of the non wired mpem in the 98 compared to the older ones hopefully he can supply the right mpems so I can chop up my old loom to suit.

I have the shop manual and wiring diagrams for a 97, but I cant find a manual or wiring diagrams for a 98, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

got as far as speaking to ignitech, sent them wiring diagrams and specs and, they were sure their product would work, and it had inputs for the overtemp and reverse rev limiters, but I was able to repair my mpem so I just did that. I put the money I saved to a jetarmor upholstery set.

Last edited:
got as far as speaking to ignitech, sent them wiring diagrams and specs and, they were sure their product would work, and it had inputs for the overtemp and reverse rev limiters, but I was able to repair my mpem so I just did that. I put the money I saved to a jetarmor upholstery set.
How did you repair MPEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back