1997 XP has no torque

thzpcs

I have a '97 XP with a freshly rebuilt engine that fires right up and sounds great, but feels like it has absolutely zero torque out of the hole. When you gun it, it feels like nothing happens at all, other than the engine revving up. Once it's up to speed, it feels alright, but the response to the throttle just doesn't seem to be there. The only way to really get up to speed is to start off doing circles, and somehow this seems to improve it, but it's still lacking down low a lot.

Any idea what the issue might be?

I have a '97 XP with a freshly rebuilt engine that fires right up and sounds great, but feels like it has absolutely zero torque out of the hole. When you gun it, it feels like nothing happens at all, other than the engine revving up. Once it's up to speed, it feels alright, but the response to the throttle just doesn't seem to be there. The only way to really get up to speed is to start off doing circles, and somehow this seems to improve it, but it's still lacking down low a lot.

Any idea what the issue might be?
First thing I would do is check your clearance from the impeller to the wear ring, also have a look at the impeller edges

Back