1997 SPX Lost spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

6KJR

I was out the other day, ran fine for about 10 minutes, startered to loose power/ drop a cylinder and wouldnt take fuel.

Took it out today, worked great again for a short time.. Started acting up again, loosing a cylinder, it spat out the intake once when I tried to give it throttle.. Barly ran, hard to start, then it just died all together. NO Spark..

Carbs all rebuilt, jetted last year. New crank sensor.. So Im guessing my CDI is toast?

I havent looked in the manual yet, but is there a way to test the MAGs in these?

Any help or suggestions are welcome..

Thanks.

Lost electrics

Probly the pick-up bracket in Magnito broke. Bills86e

Loosen front mount, lift & block up engine to get the Magnito cover open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probly the pick-up bracket in Magnito broke. Bills86e

Loosen front mount, lift & block up engine to get the Magnito cover open.

Actually that happened last year, left me dead in the water instantly.. This was a gradual loss, and intermittent when hot.

Alright. So the machine has sat for two days and my spark is back. So when it starts to get warm it acts up, and if you keep pushing it completly dies. Is the ignition controlled via the MPEM or is there a seperate box in the grey MPEM box that controlls spark?

Im not sure if I should replace the coil or look elsewhere. ? Whats breaking down due to heat ?

could be bad dess post? Whats the compression at?...etc If needed, i got mpem for that ski.

No the rear box is dry. Had it apart yesterday. Its definitly losing spark when it gets hot. I pulled the plugs to check for that. Engines got tons-o-compression and runs like mad when it gets fire power. lol. Hey DOOYA, drop me a PM with what youd want for the MPEM if I may need one.. Do those control the spark? Or is there a seperate part inside there for ignition?

you gotta extra coil, to try out....the white wire at it, tells the coil to fire, but everything goes thru the mpem.

I called the dealer today. The mechanic said it was the stator that needs to be replaced. WTF? If the battery is good the. What's that matter f it's not charging. Never ever heard of seadoo stator going bad.

No spare coils. Just have to try a new one I guess.

Get the starter out, the internal bendix pins fall into Stator. Or ya gonna be back
in there! Bills86e

Get the starter out, the internal bendix pins fall into Stator. Or ya gonna be back
in there! Bills86e

I'm sorry. I'm not following. The starter is working fine. Why would the starter be related to no spark when the machine warms up. I think the mechanic is wrong about his guess about a stator failure. I've experienced that before on my sled and they just die.

he's considering, that yuo got metal shavings inside, blocking the trigger to read the "current" off the stator.

think its coincidental...its worth the time, pulling mag cover off inspecting trigger and stator assy. Also, pull the raves, and have a gander at the sides of pistons...you still think its mpem,i'll shoot you pm w/price, also it has key with it.

Yeah I donno. I just put the new OEM pickup in there halfway through last summer and it wasnt dirty in there. And generally from my past, with cars, sleds, ect.. The ignition components like the module or coils are what quit after they get warm.

believe or not, the mpem and especially the coil, is somewhat bulletproof, unless submerged, has corrosion built on it or jumped started.

Hate to sell it to ya, just for you to repost and say..nope, it aint the mpem...:ack:

I guess the best thing to do is go out, get the machine hot again and take my meter with me. Once it dies I will start to test to see if its getting a signal from the crank sensor, a signal from the MPEM box to the coil, and that should hopefully point to the right direction. Ive got both analog and digital multimeters so it should pick up the information being sent throughout the wiring system.

No spark on my 97 gts and YES there was water in the white ebox next to battery - if i dry it out you think I will have spark? DSA

post 7, now two weeks and still water in there. Vac out, clean ALL wire connectors
and dielectric grease. If all goes well, dab white litheum grease on Everything in there, as dispersant. Git out there an ride like its a rental!:cheers:

Alright. Put in a new stator. Trigger is still as mint as it went in. Ran good for a day, now its doing exactly what it did before, to the point again where there is no spark at all.. Whats next? Coil?

Hottest day of the year and again Im stuck on shore.. Ima looose it soon with this thing..

New coil and plug wires on order, new NGK plug caps coming as soon as I pick them up. 5K resistance right?

Look at that a trippple post, I gonna get kicked out!

Well in goes the new OEM coil (131$) and two new NGK Spark plug caps (25$). And of course it with a few primes it fired in the hole like it was never broken. Of course it always ran cold. I just hope that was the issue. ONLY thing left is MPEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back