1997 seadoo XP troubles

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTDavies

Good day,

I have recently purchased a 1997 seadoo XP 787 (I believe). I was told it has been sitting for 3 years in climate control storage.

I've hooked it up to a battery to try and turn it over (with the fuel off. I don't trust any of the fluids in there), but I can't get it to turn over with the starter. I'm wondering if there is somewhere on this model that I can grab by hand and just see if the engine will move at all?

I don't have any real history on the machine other than it was running fine 3 years ago (old family friend who rode it), it became too tippy/unstable for them and was starting to have issues starting at that time. But would run well once started.
It was then parked for 3 years in climate control storage and when pulled it out a month ago to start making room for his new toys, it wouldn't start. There is a small click noise that was only heard the first time I tried to start it and then no noise from it on further attempts.

Looking for some guidance on what I can check to see if it's my starter motor or if the engine is seized.

I live in Canada and do not currently have indoor workspace for this seadoo. So outside in the winter is currently what I have available to me.

Any thoughts, opinions or information would be hugely helpful and appreciated. I will attach photos of the model I have incase it helps.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_164031.jpg
    IMG_20221023_164031.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221023_172958.jpg
    IMG_20221023_172958.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 11
Driveshaft will turn fairly easily with the spark plugs out. If it spins by hand make sure you have a strong battery and try cranking it. If all you hear is a click the solenoid is Probsbly toast. To confirm bridge the solenoid with a screw driver or pliers which sends power directly to the starter

I agree with rusty nail, pull the plugs out, remove the cover over the pto flywheel and see if it turns over easily by hand, if so, ground the spark plug wires and see if the starter will turn it over, but first cover the spark plug holes with a towel, sometimes liquid blasts out, and if it does, there’s your problem!

Driveshaft will turn fairly easily with the spark plugs out. If it spins by hand make sure you have a strong battery and try cranking it. If all you hear is a click the solenoid is Probsbly toast. To confirm bridge the solenoid with a screw driver or pliers which sends power directly to the starter
Thank you.

I have since popped the top on it and have found rust inside of the cylinders.... I think this may be a full rebuild and replace what cannot be salvaged.

I'll be pulling the engine inside tomorrow to start disassembly

I agree with rusty nail, pull the plugs out, remove the cover over the pto flywheel and see if it turns over easily by hand, if so, ground the spark plug wires and see if the starter will turn it over, but first cover the spark plug holes with a towel, sometimes liquid blasts out, and if it does, there’s your problem!
Thank you. I did try what you have recommended... I am now looking at a full rebuild and replace quite alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back