1997 seadoo gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys so the other night I went out on my Sea-Doo after putting in a new rectifier reflector as soon as I hit 50 miles per hour it shut off if I go under that it's fine it wont shut off I can run it at 30 or even 40 and it's fine soon as I go over it dies then I have to start it agin and it goes dont know wats going and some times at 30 mph it seems to want more gas some one help me out not sure about wats going on thanks

Is it an instant shut off, like the spark plugs quit? Or is it a little loss of power, maybe odd engine pitch and wavering for a second then a shut off?

Trying to get a better idea if it is an electrical gremlin or fuel starvation. I have a 97 gtx and it tops out right near 50 where the motor is pulling the highest amount of fuel. You describe a need for more fuel at lower speeds at times, is this right after you start it after it does one of these odd shut downs?

For fun do a quick look your water seperator, see if any foreign material is in the bowl and take a good note on how much, if any, water is in the bowl.

Last edited:
Is it an instant shut off, like the spark plugs quit? Or is it a little loss of power, maybe odd engine pitch and wavering for a second then a shut off?

Trying to get a better idea if it is an electrical gremlin or fuel starvation. I have a 97 gtx and it tops out right near 50 where the motor is pulling the highest amount of fuel. You describe a need for more fuel at lower speeds at times, is this right after you start it after it does one of these odd shut downs?

For fun do a quick look your water seperator, see if any foreign material is in the bowl and take a good note on how much, if any, water is in the bowl.
It just shuts right off at 50 it runs fine enything lower then that where is the water separator and yeah it runs fine starts right up everything just at 50 boom shuts off I am not sure wats going on

Open the front hood, pull out the cargo box and look inside towards the rear of the machine. It is the white plastic, semi transparent, cylinder hanging off a black plastic base that has fuel lines going into it. The whole unit is about 3 inches tall and 1 inch round. The white part spins off. When it spins off it will be full of gas, don't spill it. Gently pull the white cup out of the machine and look inside or hold it up to a light and look at the side. Any water trapped in it will be obvious as distinct layer below the gas floating on top. A little water is fine, too much is not so good.

Open the front hood, pull out the cargo box and look inside towards the rear of the machine. It is the white plastic, semi transparent, cylinder hanging off a black plastic base that has fuel lines going into it. The whole unit is about 3 inches tall and 1 inch round. The white part spins off. When it spins off it will be full of gas, don't spill it. Gently pull the white cup out of the machine and look inside or hold it up to a light and look at the side. Any water trapped in it will be obvious as distinct layer below the gas floating on top. A little water is fine, too much is not so good.
Thanks I did that and put o new filter

Mikidymac, a moderator on this site, always has good knowledge and might be able to help diagnose if this is an electrical issue.

The wide open fuel shut off issue is something I have seen on sleds many times, always related to a plugged fuel filter. But the instant shut off you are describing could be related to the electrical gizmos that make these things run and I do not have much useful knowledge when it comes to the mpem/dess/multifunction display machines.

Always willing to offer what knowledge I can and willing to admit when I'm not the next step in finding the solution.

Any ideas on why the SEL 735 I'm working on will not show any accumulators for MWH or MVH back through the RTAC to our dispatch. The Doble is injecting balanced current, in phase, with our voltages on the output of the 60 MW turbine, all our pt and ct info is entered correctly, all DNP mapping is correct....... Been stuck working 7/12s for the last two weeks and I'm going home tomorrow. My XP is gassed and waiting in the garage......

Last edited:
Don't go looking, give everyone on here some time to get on line after work and you will get more input.

I have to go find the numbskull that unhooked the 232 cable off my meter.......

Man you're having a time with this ski, I know on here and FB you've been getting a lot of feedback. You're probably overwelmed at this point.

You mentioned on FB that from the previous owner you were told the carbs were rebuilt. I'd still pull them have a look and probably rebuild with oem kits, you just don't know for sure what was done and if oem kis were used. I'd do the fuel selector bypass also, just to rule it out, they'te known to cause issues. I had the exact same issue you describe with a brand new fuel selector. That cut out at WOT is fuel related, you just replaced the rectifier so we know it's not electrical.

I would have to agree here and verify the fuel system is correct.

It could also be a bad rectifier so you can run it with the red wire unplugged from the rectifier and see if that solves the issue but remember your battery will not be charging.

The biggest thing is don't keep running it this way because if it is the fuel system running it lean will destroy the engine.

Man you're having a time with this ski, I know on here and FB you've been getting a lot of feedback. You're probably overwelmed at this point.

You mentioned on FB that from the previous owner you were told the carbs were rebuilt. I'd still pull them have a look and probably rebuild with oem kits, you just don't know for sure what was done and if oem kis were used. I'd do the fuel selector bypass also, just to rule it out, they'te known to cause issues. I had the exact same issue you describe with a brand new fuel selector. That cut out at WOT is fuel related, you just replaced the rectifier so we know it's not electrical.
Yeah hey buddy loseing it over here so yeah I have the paper work top end rebuild kit and of the rebuild kit for the carbs it looks like he bought them from a seadoo website I for get witch one but yeah iam not sure iam loseing it my mph gage works on and off and yeah I just put a new fule filter in and I bought a new fuel selector that iam going to put in it and it still says that my battery is dead and I have no fuel iam loseing sleep iam loseing my mind and money lol really need help I dont know nuthing about seadoos but I know a bit about boats but yeah if you want to talk on the phone Facebook me and we can talk on there or here iam just yeah loseing it lol thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back