1997 seadoo GTX speed issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesh_gray

Well I have fixed a recent fuel issue I had where it wouldn't go above 4000 rpms but I fixed this by removing the fuel filter and changing the fuel selector and water separator and when I first tested it today it would rev fine and I got it up to about 52 mph but later I would give it full throttle and it revved correctly but I couldn't get it above 42 mph but it was revving above 7000 rpms so what could cause this loss of speed

The Pump. Or the speedo. It may be that theres something in the intake or went through it. Check for strands of weeds that may be stuck on the grate. Reflect on if sand, gravel, weeds, other went through the pump on your first rides.
Basically look for
- flow restriction (weeds)
- wear, ie wear ring damage and clearance
- damage, impeller dings and chips
- speed sensor port clear and clean. (False reading)

Just asking how could a impeller cause a misfire what the deal is right now is if I give it just a little bit more than half it jumps to full throttle and misfires and just to let you know I adjusted the high speed screw a few times In an attempt to fix this and when I started it on the trailer before I tested it the ski was misfiring but when I took it to the water it would rev to 5000 rpms and after I hit a wave it jumped to the max and ran great and after pulling it up on a rocky shore I heard some weird noises from the back and it still ran ok but eventually it started to run funny and not go above 42 mph at full throttle could there have been a weed or rock make this or could it just be the carb was clearing out debris and after completely clearing it was out of adjustment to where it was to rich or to lean on one side Any suggestions are appreciated

It is probably not misfiring from load. It is more likely that on the trailer and spinning out (impeller/wear ring slippage, weeds, etc) in the water it is hitting the rev limiter which automatically then retards the ignition timing and spark intermittence to lower the rpm. It will sound like a misfire, because it is, from high rev. Make sense?

Also, there is water injection into the pipes on these things. The exhaust note sound will change considerably throughout the RPM as the water injection rate changes with exhaust flow flow, and as accumulated water blows clear of the waterbox with runtime. What you call a misfire, by sound, could also actually be just burbles in the water box of the muffler as it does its thing.

What it comes down to is how does it feel and perform, not so much how it sounds.

For your carb settings, there are some good links on here. For quick hit you may try searching my posts. There is one or two about carbs with the needle setting links in the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
well sorry for not posting in a while since the season ended I never fixed it but I did clean the rave valves last year a few days before testing it and I saw some black behind them after I took them apart today and what that told me that I was losing compression in the cylinders at high rpm due to a rave valve leak because they open at high rpms to compensate for performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back