1997 Seadoo GTI wont run

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullmaxx

Was riding at a local lake in a no wake zone when the engine suddenly shut off. So i tried and tried to get it started back and no-luck, I managed to coast over to the bank and tie off, I popped the front compartment out and it had plenty of gas and oil. So I kept trying to start it until the battery would no longer let me :mad:. Luckily I had a friend tow me back to the dock(nothing over 5mph) where I loaded up and drove home. I got home and disconnected the battery cabled and trickled charged the battery all night. The next morning I tried again to start it and no luck, thinking fouled plugs I went to a parts house and bought 2 plugs. Put them in and managed to get it idling but it was very rough, and any throttle would shut it down. So today I filled the tank with fresh gas and added seafoam and headed off to try it again. No luck wouldn't even start in the water. It seems to me that it will idle as long as its not in the water. When i got home i noticed oil in the hull, I've noticed it before but it was always very little and i never paid it no mind, now when I start it in my garage it sounds like its knocking. Idk if a fuel line got plugged or what but obviously it got starved for oil even though it always had some in the tank, any suggestions?

Well I ran the compression test and the back cylinder is at 0 compression and the front was at 96. The oil tank is about half full and had been full. Still unsure what has happened. I have checked the small oil injector lines going into the carb. and seem to be ok and are still attached. Also the big lines are still attached as well. I have noticed a small amount of oil in the bottom of the hull. The previous owner had left the unit outside but under a carport for the last year. I'm wondering if the rear cylinder had rust in it prior to me starting it up. I thought about doing a wet compression test, but I think the results would not be much better. Fixing to pull the head and look at the cylinders tomorrow and see what's up there.

Went ahead and pulled the head to find the piston in the back has the edge torn where the ring goes. The wall of the cylinder has no scratches or gouge marks. I hope I can just have the cylinder honed and put in new pistons and rings. I'm still concerned about the crank.

seadoo.jpgseadoo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, maybe you caught it early enough tho to just do a top end. Might want to rebiuld Carbs while at it and replace all the oil lines.

Ok I need help to find a great price on Wiseco or WSM Top end kit for my 1997 Sea-doo GTI. I may need a new crank but I won't know for sure until I remove the cylinders tonight.

As I suspected there are pieces from the piston in the lower crank case. Can it be possible the the crank and bearings could still be ok since the engine was not ran much after the back piston top ring caught the exhaust port. I will be putting in new sleeves since the cylinders are in bad shape towards the bottom. Looks like I'll be using WSM platinum series pistons. If anyone has had any problems with this brand please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back