1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

For several years I've been pondering over the idea of purchasing Kawasaki Jet Ski's, so, after almost taking an impulse plunge to purchase two SD 1996 GTX's that I saw at a local dealer for $6900 two weeks ago, last week, when I saw two 1997 1100 STX's for sale, and after several days of negotiating, when the owner decided to lower his price from $5800 to $4800, I drove them away.

Yeah, I kept thinking, the season in CA is almost over and maybe I should have waited and possibly saved $500, but then, maybe I couldn't have negotiated a better deal.

Though the trailer was a tad rusty in parts, the Jet Ski's were almost immaculate, so off to the River I went all week.

The Kawi's seem to use more oil, (TC W3 oil is 1/2 the price of an API TC oil) so, I did not cry when I had to re-fill the oil tank.

Although they are a lot faster than my 93 GTX's, I like the handling of my old Doo's, so, when I again take them to the River next week I will decide whether to keep the Kawi's or store them in the garage until April and peddle them for an easy $1000 profit.

Too bad the SDF is only for Sea Doo's because I've learned a lot from many members.

That said, I just may keep my 93 GTX's, so, I'm not gone yet.

When I first got mine I was also looking at a STX 1100 also. Good price, one and the trailer for only $2000. The deal didn't work out and the SeaDoo I now have sort of fell into my hands. I'm glad I went with the seadoo even though it does have less engine.

Hey Wat:

I see you have the same hull as my 93 GTX which in my opinion makes for a fun ride.

You stated that you are glad you got the SD rather than the Kawi and on that note, why?

There are a lot of great features on the Kawi's that the Doo's don't have and I've been told by my mechainc pals that the 1100 STX has the best hull in the water.

Nonetheless, I am hanging onto my 93 GTX's until I am sure I am 85% satisfied with them over my Doo's. I liked them because they are light and agile.

Hey Wat:

I see you have the same hull as my 93 GTX which in my opinion makes for a fun ride.

You stated that you are glad you got the SD rather than the Kawi and on that note, why?

There are a lot of great features on the Kawi's that the Doo's don't have and I've been told by my mechainc pals that the 1100 STX has the best hull in the water.

Nonetheless, I am hanging onto my 93 GTX's until I am sure I am 85% satisfied with them over my Doo's. I liked them because they are light and agile.

For me a few things. As a beginner I'm new all together. I have about 3 rides in on my Doo where as I test rode the kawi for about 10 minutes. I love everything about the Doo that I have now. First its been well taken care of always runs great, handles great out on the water, is good for a beginner. Not a lot of power, but enough to get a feel for speed. My girlfriends father also works for BRP at their plant here in Southern Illinois, so that gives me some bias to the SeaDoo and Bombardier brand.

The Kawi's seem to use more oil, (TC W3 oil is 1/2 the price of an API TC oil) so, I did not cry when I had to re-fill the oil tank.

They have to use more oil, because the TC-w3 oil isn't nearly as good. Good rule of thumb... if it's over 700cc, or 65 hp... feed it API-TC oil if you want it to live a long healthy life, regardless of what the manufactuer recomends. (besides, the recomendation was pushed by the EPA)

After all your research, you should have figured that out.

My big Polaris (1200cc/135hp) can use a TC-w3 oil... but I feed it the same XPS my Doo's get. The only things I run TC-w3 in are my SuperJet (650), and my Diesel truck. (to lube the injector pump)

BUT... congrats on the new ski's. I'm sure they are much faster than your old Doo's. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. H:

Like you, I'd rather be on the safe side and use a mo betta lubricant, thus ensuring that my PWC will be fed properly, so, as soon as I burn up the two gallons of Valvoline I will be feeding it Quickslver Premium, which is an Ash Less lubricant, but is also rated both API TC and TCW3. (That is a strange rating)

As you know, many SDF members have not paid attention to the difference between QS Premium and QS PWC 2-Stroke, the latter being the proper lubricant because it is a Low Ash API TC oil.

The oil debate will be going on long after we are gone.

I've read a lot of Theads on PWC Today arguing that oil is oil, and many are using a TCW3 oil in their Doo's without problems.

I also read an article from a purported expert on oil and he related that it is not the Ash content, or lack thereof that a Sea Dooer should focus on, but, the quality of the oil. I recall I posted the article on a Thread some time back, thus, bringing more confusion to the subject.

Because I like the agility of my 93 Doo's over the 97 Kawi 1100 STX's, plus the sentimental value, (sentimental value equating to the $15,000 grand I paid for them in 93) unless the Kawi's win me over this month, I just may clean them up, winterize them and put them on the sales block next April.

Yep, the Kawi's seem faster than my 93 GTX's, however, I'm not a racer, but a cruiser, always on the look out for some new mountains to climb or campsites to pitch my tent and hang out, away from the general population.

I'm still driving my 56 Chevy Nomad to haul my musical gear (also from the 60's) that I got from my parents when I graduated from high school in the sixties, so, I tend to like the old.

Keep cruising and posting.

. . .Good rule of thumb... if it's over 700cc, or 65 hp... feed it API-TC oil if you want it to live a long healthy life, regardless of what the manufactuer recomends.

My big Polaris (1200cc/135hp) can use a TC-w3 oil... but I feed it the same XPS my Doo's get. The only things I run TC-w3 in are my SuperJet (650), and my Diesel truck. (to lube the injector pump)

Now that I have the Kawi's, but plan on still keeping my Doo's to compare, I am back on the oil investigation.

As you may be aware, the American Petroleum Institute (API) no longer classifies 2-stroke engine oil. In light of that fact, finding information pertaining to the methodology API used to rate 2-stoke oils has been impossible.

On that note, I turned my attention to Japans solution to the American crap system, JASO and I discovered that the only companies that I had an interest in that had a JASO approved 2-stroke oil were Kawi, Yami, Honda, Chevron, Castrol, and Citgo. FYI, Bombardere (BRP) was not on the latest published list. Nor was Quicksilver or Mercury Marine, or Amsoil.

As usual, I found your opinions astute, specifically your "good rule of thumb" to use an oil in engines that exceed "700cc, or 65 hp" that is rated for such RPM's

I can only surmise that your "rule of thumb" may haven been based on the fact that when the National Marine Merchants Association (NMMA), the rating institute who certifies TC W3 oils, they only chose three OUTBOARD engines (no PWC's of any brand) to conduct their tests and none exceeded 5700 RPM's.

My two 97 Kawi 1100 STX's can run up to 6550 RPM's at 52 MPH and under optimum conditions can reach 7150 RPM's on their 1071 cc engines.

I know I will tick some readers off by my comment that Amsoil deceives the public that its oil is JASO certified, but the facts support my statement as of the date of this post.

Since the API no longer rates oil for 2-strokes, it is unknown whether Amsoil was ever API TC certified. Does Amsoil bare API's seal?

My oil inquiry could be much easier if oil suppliers would simply provide a product data sheet, however, since it is clear that none of the companies that I have checked, to include Quicksilver (Mercury Marine) have done so, it is beginning to appear that the oil suppliers are offering nothing but hype, snake oil to sell their products.

These oil companies are beginning to appear like the fraudsters that I see daily in courtrooms.

Just some food for thought.

As usual, if you find my comments off base, or not error free, let me have it. I am hear to learn.

I don't plan on using a TC W3 oil in my Kawi's, however, my quest now is to find a brand of oil that has a product data sheet that confirms its oil has been successfully tested on a PWC up to a minimum of 6550 RPM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back