1997 GTX wont beep no power to info center

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKUNZE

I acquired a 97 GTX that has sat for 13 years. I have been going through all the usual suspects per all of the threads i have read through on here. Up until last week i had power to the info center but no chirps with the key and the engine wouldn't turn over. I replaced the starter solenoid and the chirper and was happy to find the motor turning over with the start stop button and the chirper chirping when the key was connected. Fast forward to the weekend and i was planning on trouble shooting the fuel gauge not working and starting to replace fuel lines to find when i put the key in now i get nothing. No chirps, nothing. Not even a flicker of the gauge. I also tried to enter diagnostic mode by pressing the start stop 5 times with no key on the post and got nothing. I have checked and replaced all three fuses that i am aware of. (two up front, one by the coil) Is there something I am missing? I do not have a battery installed. I am using a fully charged jump pack so I can easily flick the switch on it to turn battery power on and off. I jumped the solenoid and the motor turned over so i know it is making good contact.

Do you have a volt meter? You need to follow the wiring diagram and measure voltage to figure out where your losing power.

Attachments

• 97 GTX wiring diagram.jpg
    97 GTX wiring diagram.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 51
I do have a volt meter. Thanks for the diagram. I guess i can start at the rear of the unit in the rear electrical box. Got any pointers to make it go any quicker? I'm not exactly an electrical wizard by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks!

Do you have a volt meter? You need to follow the wiring diagram and measure voltage to figure out where your losing power.
Any concerns with cranking the motor over with plugs off and the plug ends not grounded to the terminals on the rear electrical box?

Any concerns with cranking the motor over with plugs off and the plug ends not grounded to the terminals on the rear electrical box?
This can kill the mpem
DId you check all the fuses i would check for power coming into the gauge

This can kill the mpem
DId you check all the fuses i would check for power coming into the gauge
Unfortunately i cranked it over twice with the wires just laying un the bottom of the hull. Checked all fuses and all were good. Tonight i'm checking the grounds in the rear box with fingers crossed something is frayed or loose. Do you know which color wire is the main power coming into the gauge?

Its ganna be the purple wire that goes into the tach it then goes to spedo then to the info center

I don't understand why the jump pack would be bad. The battery contained in it isn't any bigger than a small power sports battery? I saw and read you never boost a battery from a vehicle because the alternator is charging it at a higher amperage than what the sea doo is rated for. I guess i need to get a battery then. Is there a preference between standard acid flood compared to gel style?

Check that the mag plug is connected and corrosion free. The mpem grounds through that connection

I don't understand why the jump pack would be bad. The battery contained in it isn't any bigger than a small power sports battery? I saw and read you never boost a battery from a vehicle because the alternator is charging it at a higher amperage than what the sea doo is rated for. I guess i need to get a battery then. Is there a preference between standard acid flood compared to gel style?

People get bent out of shape about that, you're fine using your jump pack you have the right idea.

If you have one of the standard jump packs with the 12V lead battery it’s fine. When you get into to lithium ones or the capacitor ones you can fry the mpem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back