1997 GTX wear ring replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

robemty

I am replacing the wear ring on 1997 GTX. My question is do you need a neoprene seal for the GTX model. The service manual says the neoprene seal is for the SP, SPX, and the GTS models it doesn't mention the GTX. So I'm not sure what to put (neoprene seal, Loctite 598 ultra black, or nothing).
Please Help.
Thanks

You should use one. It does a good job of sealing the pump on the hull. It makes the pump easier to remove without sealant and usually does not rip on pump removal so I have used it again.

I am replacing the wear ring on 1997 GTX. My question is do you need a neoprene seal for the GTX model. The service manual says the neoprene seal is for the SP, SPX, and the GTS models it doesn't mention the GTX. So I'm not sure what to put (neoprene seal, Loctite 598 ultra black, or nothing).
Please Help.
Thanks
+1 on using the seal. I’ve got a 96 GTX and it works great.

I am replacing the wear ring on my 97 GTX as I believe it may be the cause of acceleration issues and bogging. Now that I have removed the pump is there any way to visually determine if this is the underlying cause? Ring is worn internally as evidence in photos, but impeller appears pretty tight to wear ring. Now that I have removed the pump guess I should replace it regardless (?). Any reason not to us a plastic seal vs. stainless steel (if avail)?. Any particular manufacturer? Assume the impeller was ground by someone in the past? see photos.

Attachments

• PXL_20230720_182547568.jpg
    PXL_20230720_182547568.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230720_182604967.jpg
    PXL_20230720_182604967.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230720_182831952.jpg
    PXL_20230720_182831952.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 16
It looks you are missing the outer edge on part of the wear ring. That may cause some issues if the impeller overlaps it and more pieces might break off So I would replace it. I think the maximum clearance between the impeller and wear ring is 1mm max. If you are near. that clearance it is also a reason for performance problems. I assume you're talking about a stainless steel wear ring versus a plastic one. I would use plastic because if you get something caught in there like a rock the Seadoo wear ring is supposed to give way before the impeller gets damaged.

It looks you are missing the outer edge on part of the wear ring. That may cause some issues if the impeller overlaps it and more pieces might break off So I would replace it. I think the maximum clearance between the impeller and wear ring is 1mm max. If you are near. that clearance it is also a reason for performance problems. I assume you're talking about a stainless steel wear ring versus a plastic one. I would use plastic because if you get something caught in there like a rock the Seadoo wear ring is supposed to give way before the impeller gets damaged.
Thank you sir. Ordered the ring, seals and impeller tool. Hope this solves the problem.

Back