1997 GSX turns over no start.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peezen

Hi everyone,

I’ve done some reading through the forum and didn’t find a solution to my issue, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

I have a 1997 GSX Limited with the 787 engine and a 1998 GTX Limited. I bought both as projects and finally got both up and running after changing out the starter solenoids, spark plugs, batteries, new OEM carb kits for both, and fresh oil and fuel.

The GTX runs great, and I finally got the GSX running the other day.

The GSX started to sit low in he water after an hour or so of riding in the ocean, and the motor eventually died out. It looked like I was swamped. A buddy on the GTX towed me back to the launch and we pulled both out. The GSX was filled to just below the spark plugs with water!!!.

I drained it and then when I got home hooked it up to a hose and discovered that I had a hole in one of the bungs on the water intake tube. It was pouring water inside the whole time I was riding until it eventually drowned the engine.

I flushed out as much sea water as possible and the removed the pipe and had a buddy weld all of the bungs closed. When I reinstalled the pipe I couldn’t get the ski started.

I discovered that the electrical box was full of water as well, too late, and had completely destroyed the starter solenoid. Everything else seems ok, so I cleaned it all off and replaced the solenoid, and now the starter will crank but the engine won’t catch.

I read in here to run it with spark plugs out to purge water from the engine, which I have done several times. Lots of water came out at first, now it’s mostly a light spray of what looks like dirty water (fuel/oil?).

I have put fresh premix of fuel into each cylinder, and cranked away like mad until the battery needs charging. No luck. I use the choke, have the throttle open, and the starter sounds like it’s doing it’s job.

What should I do next? If I can get it started ASAP I’ll be able to get it back in the water to purge the rest of the water.

This happened a week ago, and the above are the steps I have taken leading to today.

I would start by testing the battery,,,then do a compression test…and check for a good spark while the plugs are out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

The battery is brand new, but I can do a compression test.

Spark is good, I can see the plugs sparking.

I took the carb box off and removed the line from the crank case to the fuel pump and ran the starter. Oil brown water came out of that line which I think should just be air.

I’ll pop the carbs open again and make sure they’re clean, but I suspect that I have to get the water out of the crankcase.

Any suggestions?

There should not be anything in the pulse line,,,the diaphram in the fuel pump will not work,,that also means that there was a lot of water in the motor

try just a touch of starting fluid to see what happens. Just a touch! My guess is there's water in the mag that's shorting it out when you have the plugs installed.

Thank you folks for the help so far. Is that starting fluid into the cylinders?

I will remove the pump side of the carb to blow out the water from the crank case, any way in particular to get water out of there?

Thank you folks for the help so far. Is that starting fluid into the cylinders?

I will remove the pump side of the carb to blow out the water from the crank case, any way in particular to get water out of there?
I would put it in the plug holes just to see if it fires

Ok so I put more premix in the spark plug holes, and a little in each carb opening since I took the carbs off.

No start, little flame burst from the carb side once.

Had a bunch more milky brown oil mixture shoot out from the crankcase tube that goes to the fuel pump.

Not much coming out of the spark plug tubes now, mostly a brown mist.

Spark is good, battery is good, starter cranks like a champ, carbs look super clean inside and out, and I cleaned out the pump diaphragm.

Is there a fire order to the plugs? Could I have connected them to the coil backwards?

I am seriously stumped. The shaft turns smoothly, how would I get water out of the mag?

Ok so I put more premix in the spark plug holes, and a little in each carb opening since I took the carbs off.

No start, little flame burst from the carb side once.

Had a bunch more milky brown oil mixture shoot out from the crankcase tube that goes to the fuel pump.

Not much coming out of the spark plug tubes now, mostly a brown mist.

Spark is good, battery is good, starter cranks like a champ, carbs look super clean inside and out, and I cleaned out the pump diaphragm.

Is there a fire order to the plugs? Could I have connected them to the coil backwards?

I am seriously stumped. The shaft turns smoothly, how would I get water out of the mag?

Update! So I used compressed air and blew out the cylinders a bunch and put in some more pre mix. I then swapped out the spark plugs for a set of old ones in good shape.

Boom, started right up for a second. Could have been the air, could have been the spark plugs.

I’m going to put the carbs back in and button everything up. I will attach a hose and let it run for a bit.

Question: how long can I run it for on the hose. I know I’m supposed to take it for a rip, but the earliest I’ll be able to do that would be tomorrow or Sunday.

Keep turning it over till you don't get brown mist without the plugs in. Brown mist would be water someplace still.
Backfire out of the carb is either too much fuel or not enough. I know that isn't much help.
Keep turning it over and over. spray it down with wd 40 to try to displace some of the moisture

Got it running, it’s all back together now. I’ll take it out for a burn tomorrow to get rid of any residual water :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back