1997 Gsi intermittent power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jasonash

My 1997 GSI cranked like 10 times after removing Mpem then putting back in. Then later that day I had zero power. Then days after checking the switch, starter relay, dess post, key which were all fine, it randomly cranked again like 10 times then hours later again no power, why would this be MPEM has been benched tested and all good fuses all good on the machine, haven’t blown any, no idea what is causing this

When you say zero power, do you mean won't crank, or everything is dead, no beeps or dash lights come on?

Could be a flaky MPEM. Could be a bad ground connection. Maybe a weak battery.

Why did you remove the MPEM? What was the ski doing before you took it out?

Well awhile back it wouldn’t start I can’t recall what was really happening but a guy I knew who worked on boats/pwc’s said it was the Mpem and to just replace it. So I took it out and brought it home to ensure I bought the right one but little did I know the mpem was only made for this one model and one year, so hard to find and not cheap. So this past winter I brought the whole machine home to pluck away at it and when I installed the Mpem back in it started cranking and i
almost jumped out of my shoes. It would t fire so I thought I’d work on the old fuel replacing spark plugs etc the try and get it to fire. However it would t even crank after charging the plugs. Then a buddy came by a month later after I tried all the tests i mentioned before and he squeezed the male terminals on the amp plug and we connected it yo the Mpem and it started cranking again, then a few hours later I tried starting it and back to no power on dash or anything, no beeps(although I’m sure the beeper is gone I got a replacement coming)

Personally I would double check every connection on the MPEM. Make sure all the pins are in good shape and clean and put back with dielectric grease. Double check the ground connection. I will assume because the gauge lights are dead this is not a battery issue. If these things check out I would be very suspicious of the MPEM. Keep on the lookout on eBay to see if one comes up at a decent price. Or find someone with the same ski and try to convince them to let you borrow theirs to test.

Yeah finding someone with the exact same seadoo would be perfect, I’ll check the continuity of the wires that power the Mpem to see if maybe that’s why it’s intermittent. I would think if the mpem was bad that it simply would t work period or blow a fuse but since I can get it to crank randomly it feels like it’s a connectivity issue. I did look at the pins and they all look fine, no signs of corrosion on any of them but I still cleaned them up. I read in a shop manual that it specifically said for the amp plug to NOT put any type of product on the pins see attached, do you still think this is a good idea?

Attachments

• EA19D14E-2150-4B72-8267-60B85DA189B3.png
    EA19D14E-2150-4B72-8267-60B85DA189B3.png
    533.3 KB · Views: 7
I use DeoxIt on all the connections as a great cleaner and protectant.
I use silicone grease on the rubber seal for the connectors.
download.jpg

Nope just trouble shooting connections to determine if it’s a wire or the Mpem itself
Thats unfortunate. I have a thread i made sounds very similar to yours. I found out in my case, the mpem itself is toast just intermittently reading the key and starting. Only way I figured it out was by plugging in a different mpem and that problem was solved…

Yeah that’s what I need to be able to be sure but I don’t know anyone who has one like mine without having to buy it. Did your Mpem fuse ever blow, mine never has so that is why I have been trying everything else but I unfortunately think I might be in the same boat

Yeah that’s what I need to be able to be sure but I don’t know anyone who has one like mine without having to buy it. Did your Mpem fuse ever blow, mine never has so that is why I have been trying everything else but I unfortunately think I might be in the same boat
No mine never blew. But Im fairly certain mine got messed up from jumpstarting with one of those small lithium jumpers. I had to jump it had no choice, and it was fine for a ride or 2 until i parked it and went to mess with it a week or so later since then it started having that issue.. unfortunately its most likely your issue as well if you have checked all the grounds in the box and your main ground cable, as well as all the bullet connections in the box. And sounds like you tested the key and dess post. And be sure your plug to the stater is good as well it wont do anything without making connection. Id say try one of the bay area powersport titan757 mpem models you can return it if it doesnt fix your issue and they at least have a 60 day warranty and the reviews are seemingly ok.. goodluck

Back