1997 gsi (717) swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

s91wff

So I have a 97 gsi with the 717. It only has 149 hrs on it. We have had it for 12 years and put 74 of the 149hrs on it. It has developed a problem when it hits about 5200rpms it acts like it lost electricity cutting on and off. I checked fuel, coil rectifier, stator. All in range. I did notice a lot of play in the flywheel. I’m thinking that at hi rpm it is moving and that’s what is causing the problem. As it spins it gets to close or far away causing the interruption in the electrical system. So bad bearing is what I think.
Now the question is break engine down and rebuild or replace with sbt unit. What are everyone’s thoughts? The ski is in great condition otherwise.

SBT is fine for a stock rebuild. If it is just the front bearing that is bad you could replace tha yourself and get new gaskets and crank seals. 149 hours isn't that much for a 720 so you might not have to even do the top end if compression is good.

I was thinking about just replacing the bearing. However I’m having a hard time locating one. I’ll check compression tomorrow. Tks

SBT is fine for a stock rebuild. If it is just the front bearing that is bad you could replace tha yourself and get new gaskets and crank seals. 149 hours isn't that much for a 720 so you might not have to even do the top end if compression is good.

So I tested the compression. The front has 125 psi and the rear has140psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back