1997 Challenger single 787 Carb rebuild?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are the fuel pump but they will allow fuel to flow past them if the needle and seats are leaking. That’s basically all it can be as even when the fuel tank is pressured the needle and seat will keep it from flooding.

Hmmm. Ok. I thought maybe they sealed somehow. So regardless even if i slightly damaged them the needle would still seal if it was working as it should? Ok. Maybe tomorrow I will take the carbs back off put inthe original needle and seat that i took out for the time being until i get my order in the mail. Damn current state of the world, I hate waiting. Pretty impatient guy.
The worst part of all this is ill have spent nearly $500 but the time I'm done this second rebuild(including the pump o ring, screw set and extra grommets & original carb kit I purchased). AND the entire reason Im rebuilding the carbs was because I bought it and was told it was running rich (it was/is) and when you went from idle to throttle it would bog out and die . Thought I should start by rebuilding the carbs. I now realize I should've saved some money and adjusted my waaaay over turned high speed screw back to 0 and I think I would've been alright or at least better. BUT, after all this I should be able to quickly and properly rebuild the carb with PROPER back to OEM parts when I get them. If there's a positive way to think about it I suppose thats it. Hopfully all these problems are solve after that anyway. But I definitely appreciate the help and replies from you mikidymac. Id probably wouldn't have gone this far yet if it wasn't for that. Much appreciated.

The check valves only keep the fuel moving forward and not back to the tank. So they are a one way valve to the needles and seats from the tank.

Also if clamping the line helps then your fuel selector is bad but the needles are seats should still stop flooding.

Thanks. I may be searching for a part # later today then. I havent got a chance to go try and fire it up again yet today. Will post back the result later.

Well it did fire up no problem and idled as good as i could expect. When giving it throttle it didnt die like it would've before but it didn't seem to really rev up like i would expect anything to do when you throttle up. Im thinking the rave valves will be next on the list but ill have all winter to worry about that as it seems pretty simple to do that after a quick read and skimming through a video. I havent yet removed the carb again kinda got lazy and started telling myself to wait til i get parts to do a final proper rebuild. Since I pinched the lines I don't believe its flooding anymore (will have to check one more time now thats its been a few days) So I may need a new shutoff valve too. There are definately some issues that I will and am taking care of on this boat, but it ran, drove, floated and didn't take on any water when I got it so I still think its worth it. Its an older boat now but I got a decent deal IMO anyway. Learning lots so far and will keep updating for anyone else's future reference too.

Got my order in the mail from OSD. Back to OEM carb kit with needles and seat along with a few other things and a couple things I probly didn't need to but whatever got em' now. Hopfully will be getting to it sooner than later. Will update when I do. This time I'll take the jets out and take my time making sure that all cleaned out good too. Anyone know what a 97' Challenger single 787 should be set at? I've found some writings say Low at 1 and read also Low at 1.5 turns. High Ive always seem at 0-1/4. So last time I set them at barely a 1/8 turn and lows at 1.5 to be richer than leaner and it seemed to start and run ok i guess.....

heres the stuff I got from OSD. (Dont mind the cheap china O Rings on top the box from Amazon, guess they're extra just in case spares in a pinch). Also had to get the 518 online as apparently its on back order and crazy priced locally 'due to covid 19' fml so online it was. Also got some 3/32" line from my local princess auto (Canadas answer to harbor freight) to replace the oil feed lines as suggested by you mikidymac. Hopfully I get time to get on it all soon.
20211029_221918.jpg20211029_221929.jpg20211029_221935.jpg20211029_221939.jpg20211029_221945.jpg
Forgive me for the display atop the little tikes table in the living room. Haa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back