1997 Challenger 1800 MPEM Troubleshooting?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davet6740

I have a MPEM out of my 97 challenger 1800 that I suspect to be faulty on only 1 of the motors. Would anyone have a guide/chart for ohming out the connections? Would anyone happen to know which wires would be controlling the ignition signals? I’ve got spark on one motor and not the other.

The factory manual has some info on checking it... but on a boat with the 800 engines... there are several wires that are data, and not just an analog wire that can be checked with a meter. Unfortunately... those are the wires feeding the CDI's.

If you swap the CDI's, and the problem follows... then it's the CDI. If the problem stays on the same engine... then it's the MPEM.

I believe the CDI’s are integrated with the MPEM. I was able to swap the ignition “systems” and my “no spark” switched motors. So I’ve concluded that the ignition part of the MPEM for the port side is my problem. I’m thinking of installing a MSD4255 to run the port motor and leaving the other motor on the MPEM. Ever heard of this being done? Looks possible, may need to add 2nd lanyard for the MSD unit?

What have you done so far? Have you checked/swapped coils? Any more background into your troubleshooting would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back