1997 SeaDoo Challenger 1800 MPEM conversion??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Passenger413

I have a 1997 SeaDoo Challenger 1800, and I am getting the 8 beeps code intermittently when trying to start my boat. It used to start relatively quickly before, if I removed the safety lanyard and put it back on a few times. The last time i went out i got stuck for 2 hours trying to get it to start. I have tried everything to make sure this wasn't an issue with something other than the mpem. I have cleaned the lanyard and post with an eraser and ohm tested the post, then I replaced the post just to make sure it wasnt an intermittent failure issue. I have checked all wiring and connectors for corrosion and tight fit. Put dielectric grease in all connectors. Checked battery voltage and grounds. Replaced battery and removed and cleaned grounds and re tightened. The only thing left I still want to try is getting a new Atlantis brand safety lanyard and having it programmed, just waiting on the seadoo tech to program it for me. If this doesn't work i will most likely end up replacing the mpem with an original used mpem for and ungodly amount of money or getting the mpem conversion done for the same price. I am fairly confident I could do a conversion from the 1 original mpem to the 2 newer mpem's from another boat or ski if I knew which mpem's were used in the conversion. Does anyone happen to know which mpem's get used to convert the 97 Challenger 1800 from the original single mpem to the newer, more readily available and cheaper mpem's? Any help would be appreciated because i can not afford to spend $1500 to have the mpem replaced and i really like this boat and want to keep it for a few more years.

I would think any of the MPEM’s out of an early carbed 787 ski would work. Of course the wiring is going to be slightly different depending on which ones you get, but it’s possible. I think I would be looking for a 96XP or early GSX unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back