1996 XP Surging at Maxx Throttle Top Speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
1996 XP I'm getting a TWICE PER SECOND engine RPM occilitaion at Wide Open throttle. Easily noticiable from 150' distance or more. I had rebuilt the carbs with all the good stuff. I'm pulling the carbs and I'm gonna start there especially check the nozzles in the carb throat. When I went through this ski I was I was just finding my way so I may not have been as thorough with the critical points. I'm gonna check now. I'm open to suggestions on what to check especially if someone has experience with this issue. Ski is running 55mph. I think it could do 57 if I clear this up. It hit 57 previously for a short time on the GPS.

I got a hell of a lot of bounce on the front end and I can't keep it down. I have the trim adjusted properly. I bought some trim tabs I plan to install. I bought this ski with small trees growing in the footwells and it looked like a moutain lion clawed the hull. LOL It has come a long way and it is gonna be difficult to sell this one but ones has to go, this one or the RX. I might get some stickers but that will only make we want to keep it mre. LOL :)

96 XP Lock One Ramp.jpg

Typically raves are the issue with high rpm hiccups. Also water regulator valve but that oscillation you described sounds more like raves. Make sure it has the updated rave bases. I'm not a believer in the slotted raves, the old slotted bases were their main issue. It usually only causes issues on the bigger gsx and gtx but thats where I'd be looking.

Typically carb problems aren't gonna let it rip to 55 and maintain whatsoever.

You got a point on the carb. :) I was wondering about the raves but not about the bases. I'm not that keen on that design upgrade shiznit. :)

Last edited:
Looks like I got the updated versions of the raves. I stuck some O-rings on the bottom of the diaphragm to hold them tight. Both O-rings failed and I'm leaking a small amount of oil from the raves. I'd call it nothing much.

Genes 96 XP 2020 Turn up  (7).JPEG

Last edited:
I just installed the key and I'm getting 2 beeps then 4 short beeps. I gotta look it up and see what the problem is. I was thinking it was the battery. any help is apprecaited. Busy day.

I went over some connections in the gray box and gave everything a once and twcie over. I found a couple of items and a loose wire in one of the plugs. I unplugged everything that goes into the Gray Box and cleaned the connectors.. Cranked right over when I inserted the key. :)

Raves look good. I had some springs for the bottom of the bellows so I used those on reassembly. Not everyone chooses to use the springs but almost every ski I take apart has them in place. The leaks around the raves tell me they work so I'm using them. YMMV

Genes 96 XP 2020 Turn up  (5).JPEG

Carburetor tests were interesting. Pop-Off was a little low on the Mag Carb with the fuel pump. I Pressure test showed a leak small leak. ended up having a leak on the outside gasket of the fuel pump. That surface is sealed by an O-Ring and I find it strange that the O-Ring is leaking. I installed a new 80 gram spring and pop-off is right where it needs to be and matches the PTO Carb. around 36 psi. Gonna do the final assembly and it will be ready for the water test.

Not sure if that small leak will make the carbs surge but we'll see. They are better than they were so either way it's good. :)

The gray stuff on the carb face is just because I'm still testing the ski. It will have new gaskets when I reinstall the carbs. :)

Genes 96 XP 2020 Turn up  (9).JPEG

I'm installing the carbs today. Dunno when I'll go ridin but I'm looking for 57mph and no bobbing. LOL I'm thinking about some graphics. We'll see.

Ho - LEE Smoke. While cleaning the carb base mounts I noticed a couple drips of oil below the PTO oil line. When I squeezed the oil line it came off in my hand. When I checked the MAG oil line... it oozed also. WOW !! Had I not decided to start checking this engine I'd never have found this. Being a good Catholic Boy, I attribute this to God's Providence. No such thing as luck or Karma. Wow !! I don't think I replaced these when I installed the engine. They still looked good and felt good but at the attachment points they were deteriorated.. Got them replaced and all primed up. Just need to reinstall the pump and carbs. WOW Again !! As I often say, these skis don't GET Reliable you KEEP them reliable by the work we do on them. Check those oil lines for sure.

You always replace them. Every time. Anything else is being lazy and cheap. Buy a 50' roll of tygon in ebay and it comes out to about $1 a foot.

I'm just having a good time working on jet skis. It's fun. I post here to help people and enjoy the journey together.

Well, I got the carbs installed today and the oil pump. Guess what??? It started. LOL I'd suggest not letting your skis sit. Better to ride them for sure. Group K says I"m gonna lose 2-3mph in smooth water after installing the tabs. I hope they work. Last time I rode it I was hanging over the front and still couldn't keep it down. Touchdowns everyone !!! Riding season is upon us !!

Gene 1996 XP Trim Tab Install (4).JPEG

I think I bought these from Matt Braley. Kinda bummed out I can't get in touch with him. He was always helpful and fun. He really enjoys skis. I guess I'll put some Clear RTV on these bad boys cuz that's what was on the other ones. I'll look up how to do a good install. Looking forward to trying it out.

Gene 1996 XP Trim Tab Install (2).JPEG

Last edited:
Got R Did. :) Rub Rail insert installed, Trim Tabs done. I just had to polish the back before installing the trim tabs which I cleaned up and painted. :D I like good lookin skis what can I say. :)

XP Rub Trim Tab Install  (3).JPEG

XP Rub Trim Tab Install  (4).JPEG

I had to clean them up and put some paint on there. Ugly parts don't get installed.

XP Rub Trim Tab Install  (2).JPEG

Cleaned and read for the Trim Tab Installtion.

Not perfect but clean enough for me. I'll do some work on the hood. I wanna put it in the water now. :)

XP Rub Rail Installed side view (5).JPEG

Attachments

• XP Rub Trim Tab Install  (1).JPEG
    XP Rub Trim Tab Install (1).JPEG
    108.6 KB · Views: 10
I took the ski out on the water today and power was smooth on top end. Feels a little rich on the low speed. The bobbing is much better with the R&D Trim Tabs. I'm replacing the Water Seal. With the old fuel and plugs I'm topped out at 56mph on the GPS. I read from one of the shops that I'd lose a couple MPH with the trim tab installation but I only hit 57MPH once other than at 55mph.

I think I'm gonna keep this ski. I ordered a graphics kit for it, see below. :)

xp graphics silver.jpg

I filled up the azz end with water and found I had a leaking sponson on the left side. I took a chance and just tightened it up. It was loose. I only removed one other set of sponsons and it was miserable so I went for the quick fix and hopefully it doesn't leak. I found another leak where the speedo wire comes through the hull. I also have a leak under the rub rail but it is a small drip. I'll address that later with a tube of silicone RTV I'm thinkin. It is amazing all the little things you find on these skis that need attention but when you get them all... it is bad azz. LOL

I lifted the front of the ski as high as I could on the trailer so the water level didn't get too high in the engine compartment when I was checking for leaks. I don't care what anyone says, these engines and parts are much more happy when they are kept dry. :) Ski Happy... :D :D Genie Happy... :D :D Good Luck All !!

I would use 3M 5200 sealant.

For the sponson washers, lock washers and nuts that are a pain it the butt.... I use super glue and glue them together using an old bolt to keep them aligned. then use a piece of tape to make the nut tight in a deep socket and install them by feel using a net-driver handle on the socket. Once you actually tighten them the glue will break and you are good to go.

I put the XP Away for now with only the rear parting leak which is very small. I'll get the 3M and take care of that a little later on. Ah don't think I can get rid of this ski. I like it and we don't go in the big water very often.

Use the wet method. Bought the large bottle of Sticker-On from Hardline Products.
I heard about the "wet" method but not how to do it. I contacted Mike and he is sending me some info. I suck at stickers. :) This should be an adventure. :)

I just went through something similar it felt like surging but was the carrier bearing going out/locking up
only at higher RPM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back