1996 xp cutting out at wot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

murray1886

Bought this after it had been sitting for a year and a half. Had no spark, turned out to be the pickup bracket. Easy fix thanks to this forum :) So now it starts right up. The fuel lines are all black automotive, gray lines are gone. I put in some new plugs, snipped the plug wires, checked and cleaned the engine ground (was just covered with corrosion). I took it to the river yesterday, backed it in, but didn't take it off the trailer, warmed it up. Then I chopped it a bit, making sure everything looked ok. Finally I put it wot on the trailer.... I've never done that before on a trailer, but the river is at flood stage, and what could it hurt... anyway, it has a mild stumble at wot.... almost like hitting the rev limiter. I tried using the primer to shoot in some extra fuel in case it was lean, but it just stumbled. So I ran it wot for 5 seconds to clear everything and pulled the lanyard. The pto plug is medium brown (looks perfect to me, if it where a 4 stroke), the mag a little rich (dark brown/ a little blackish). My question is, how are the plugs supposed to look on a 2 stroke? is brown too lean? and what about the fuel? It came with a full tank, doesn't smell terribly bad, but I have no way of knowing if it was stabilized. could some old fuel cause this? Is there a treatment I can put in to clean out the gunk, or should I pull the carbs and rebuild? Thanks

You need to go thru the carbs, no if ands or buts if they haven't been gone thru recently. Holding it wfo on the trailer, I'll bet you were on the rev limiter, not wise.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I'm going to take your advice and pull the carbs this week, but out of curiosity, why is bad to hit wot on the trailer? Its probably under more load since its trying to push the truck, thats why I figured it wasn't hitting the rev limiter.

Because you only have the water it can suck in so it's just going to cavitate. You need to keep moving to keep the pump fed.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back