1996 speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassjk13

Okay guys here we go. I'm going to be coming into the possession of what i believe is a 1996 seadoo speedster the price is right, FREE!. I really do not know anything about PWC's (I really dont even know if it is a 96 just going by pics). from what i can tell the hull is solid and the apolstery was just redone. other than that i know nothing about these things. i do know that the controls on the right side next to the steering wheel are broken i dont know what that would cost to fix and what is involved. other than that i do not know if it even runs so basically i would like to know everything i should know about this thing. i feel i am pretty mechanically inclined but i dont know how difficult it is to work on one of these. so really i just want to know everything i should watch out for or anything i should know before getting it.

H.i.n.

The 1997 model Speedster had twin 717cc, 80 hp engines. Nice boat!
The H.I.N. (hull identification number) is on the back of the transom, right hand side. Get that number and re-post and we can tell you what year it is. As for wanting to know all about it, that's great. These PWC's and boats with the Rotax engines are awesome and some of the highest amounts of horsepower packed into such a small engine.
Unfortunately, to learn all about your craft, you'll need a manual of some sort. Without knowing anything about it, you'll be lost. This engine is not a typical 2-cycle engine. You'll need to learn about the oil and fuel types, which are not the same as an outboard. Really, there is no comparison to an outboard 2-cycle engine, except that they are 2-cycle.
You can learn alot more by reading articles in this forum or by becoming a new member. The price to become a member is really cheap compared to all you get from it. The complete library of Sea-Doo service manuals, shop manuals, service bulletins and supplemental information.
Welcome to the forum and let us know if you get the boat. The control handle isn't that hard to replace.
Again, welcome to the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
well im getting it on sunday. i downloaded what i believe is the 96 manual. The current owner said that i will def need new batteries and that control. how much do both of these cost?

Welcome to the seadoo forum bassjk13. This forum is a great to learn about your new toy. If you join as a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual for your specific model. Click on the link at the top of the page under "seadoo Manuals" for more details. The battery would run about $60.00 at Auto Zone. The manual will give you the specific size you should purchase. The handle might a little more expensive depending if you just need pieces of replacement of the whole thing. The manual also will describe the proper way to disassemble and repair it if it is broken. If we can help any more just give us a shout I'm sure you get a quick response as this is a friendly place with many active members very eager to help.
Karl

thanks im very excited to get this thing running im planning on getting it ready for the summer! i think it might just be the first lever that is broken im hoping anyway. i hope to learn a lot and like i said i get it saturday so i will get some pics up if you guys want. maybe with some pics up you guys can help me determine better what needs to be done with this thing.:cheers:

Does the first lever have a black end on it? First on the inside of the boat or outside? If it's on the inside than it's the gear shift lever. Is it like snaped off or flopping around or something?
Karl

Pricey!....

There are some parts for the Sea-Doo's that, like with all boats, will cost a pretty penny. The part your looking for is the control assembly and is specific to your year model. They must have changed it that same year of manafacturer because most of the time, stuff from the 1996 model will fit the 1997. But not this.
The complete unit will set you back about $535 dollars. But like KustomKarl said, you may be able to pull it out and take a look to find a part broken and just replace it. To repair what you can will be a lot cheaper and is feasible with what I say on the parts list for your boat.
Take some pix and post them. We'd love to look at her. Make sure you take pix of the engine compartment, so that if I see something amiss, we can spot it. Also, make sure you get that H.I.N. number so we can check the year for you........
Oh, by the way, you make my 1000th post to this forum!..........:cheers:

glad i could be apart of your accomplishment! haha. if i remember right from when i was sitting in it, it looks as tho the first lever is broken. sunday will shed some light on the whole situation when i actually get it here and am able to sit in it for a few hours

Nice accomplishment Louis 1000 post...and to think you were talking about something pricey...

Louis the order goes black,(GearShift) red throttle red throttle from inside to outside of boat...

On the home page is a set of links of dealers that advertise on the forum site... Try them for pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back