1996 speedster with mystery motor... new to me

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

quintonvincent

Ok so I picked up a Speedster over the weekend. Unfortunately neither engine runs well and I am used to Yamaha 2 strokes, So I need some help from people with experience to help me. I usually learn the hard way but hopefully you all can lend some guidance.

Left engine.

Appears to be stock 717 with 2 carbs. It took alot of cranking to get it to start and when it did it it ran really rough. I pulled the carbs and found a fuel return plugged so I cleared it and inspected all jets and passages. I got it running fairly smooth, and ran it on the hose for a few minutes and confidently ran to the lake, and in the water it would not start. Currently to get it to start I have to pull the plugs, pour a little fuel in the cylinder, and crank it full throttle for 10-20 seconds and it will start really rough and then eventualy run smooth and perfect and rev well. If I turn it off it will not restart. I have to go thru the whole process again.

A side note, when it initially started and revved a few times A TON of nasty oil came out of the exhaust.

Right engine.

When I pulled the flame arrestor, I found that I have a SINGLE carb on this engine. I'm guessing it is a transplant from some other vessel. This engine has the opposite problem of my other one. It will start on a dime and but has a high idle that I cannot adjust out. When I apply throttle it lags for a second and then surges, but the RPM does not change much. OF course none of the guages work, so I do not know what rpm it is at. I have not had it in the water and tested.

Other Issues,

Both of my reverse cable shafts are broken. Well one is sheared off and one is bent into a nice J. Can you repair these? I will probably run with out reverse until I get the motors figured out.

Guages do not work except for the oil low light.

Any help will be appreciated, I was sold this boat under the understanding that there were no issues and that it was seaworthy, but I guess thats how you learn how to do a thorough check out before you buy.

I just want to get back on the water!!!

There are a lot of things to reply to here. I don't know all of your problems so I'll throw out some suggestions

1. The fuel baffle has a fuse that is known to blow. There is a common solution where you replace it with solder. Should be easy to Google as it's verrrrrry common

2. Have you thought of rebuilding your carbs? I don't know if this will help

3 the Speedo has a sensor on the transom. It's a little wheel start there. The wire is exposed and is suseptable to damage.

4 the tach gauges are also common to get stuck. I don't know if there is a real solution. There is another thread here discussing this right now

5 these engines have a tendency to leak oil through the crank seals. If it's really bad you have to rebuild the crank. Otherwise most people live with it. Some people put a shut off valve on the oil line so the cylinders don't fill with oil when the boat is not used. I don't like this. If you forget to turn it on your engine is ruined

hope this helps. Hopefully the guys who know engines can help you with the rest

Thanks! I'll check on the fuel baffle.

I did. Not rebuild the carbs with a kit but I did tear them down and inspect and check pop off.

Speedo wheel is missing! But I don't really need to know my speeds. Plus I have a GPS.

I plan on getting a few tiny tachs to keep good logs of hours and whatnot.

It does have the valves on the oil lines.

How big of a difference in power is the 1 carb vs the 2 carb? The bores on all appear to be 38.

Should I go switch the 2 into 1 carb or the 1 into 2?

I don't know the carb answers but I did see an interesting suggestion a few days ago about the valves on the oil lines. They say hang your dess key on one of them. That way it's harder to forget to turn them on. Any way I guess it doesn't need to be said that you need to be careful

Yeah I used to fly planes and the have a remove before flight flag they hang on important stuff so u remember it when you do your checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back