1996 speedster w/ couple problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you go to the dealer i had to use both sections of a floor jack handle for the breaker bar and it came loose, still about crapped my pants. The dealer will probably try to sell you new pumps.

The dealer was able to break them loose for me. He told me "yeah, they were stuck bad" it took 2 guys to do it.

I replaced the wear rings and put in the neoprene seals and reinstalled the pumps. Got everything back together and the starboard engine cranked a few times then nothing. It would click once when the start button was pressed. Turns out the starter is wacked. So I wacked it with a hammer and it started.

Which brings us to the next problem...

Did you ever see a 720 dance? Two broken motor mounts on the right side (carb side). Ordered new ones from SBT.

Ok so we moved on to the next, next problem.

Port engine tach was stuck at 6k and had water in it. It looks like someone had tried to open it up. Its junk.
Was able to find a used one online for $75. It seems to be the only one in the world that is the same as my old one. So I jumped on it.

Going on vacation next weekend so I won't get to do anything for a couple of weeks.

I told my woman were over budget ,and she says "I know this wedding is racking up", I say "no the boat" she says "how much?", I say "I quit counting and at this point it doesn't matter, I'm not gonna quit now." :cheers:

Update: Back from vacation. Replaced the motor mounts, no more dancing. Did find that the driveshaft is bent.
20160710_173603.jpgNot good.
When I put the pump back on after doing the wear rings I didn't notice the shaft didn't line up with the impeller.
It did this.20160710_173714.jpg Well at least I'm learning (the hard way).

Mag side spark plug was still nice and clean (too clean). Trimmed 1/4 inch off and reconnected. Now we're getting spark.

Another update: Replaced the driveshaft and buttoned everything up. Fired it up for a second and no strange noises. Take it over to the launch. Starboard engine (the one we did all the work on) starts and stalls a few times, starter craps out and needs to be smacked a few times.
Port engine starts up and revs up on it's own so I shut it down. It did this a couple times. With it off I moved the throttle to wide open and back to idle restarted and it seemed ok. Does that make any sense?
Mind you, we are still at the ramp.
Now the battery is too low to start either engine so we pulled it back onto the trailer and back at the house we put it on the charger.
So the starter seems to be the problem and not the solenoid because when I tapped the starter it works again.
The other engine revving concerns me. Any thoughts?

The idle out of the water is pretty high (2500 to 3000) The engine returning to normal RPM after opening and closing could have been stuck cable. it's a pretty mechanical operation, if you see it return to closed normally after several tries I would not sweat it too much.

Tomorrow is another day, good luck!

One problem found and corrected.
20160717_120902.jpg20160717_121020.jpg
Hose was catching the linkage.
That gray hose is about 4 inches long and connected to a black fuel line back to the tank. Should I get rid of it?

It's not clear from the pictures...One end goes back to the tank..what about the other end? where does the gray line go to? Might be a return line that you absolutely need to leave in place, but need to know for sure what the other end of the line is hooked to.

Sorry, when I said "get rid of it" I meant replace it with black fuel line. It goes from the carb return nipple to a black fuel line back to the gas tank.
I know I need it, I'm just wondering if it's one of those gray lines everybody says to change out.

Ok, the boat is in the water :hurray:. Not so fast. :mad:
No water coming from the pisser. We got across the lake, from the launch to the house and the buzzer came on steady and the engines died. Let it cool down and tried it on the hose (still in the water). Water comes out the pisser quite strong. We did blow out the lines. The line that goes to the hull/pump area we pulled off the head and pumped air in it and bubbles came out under the boat. Put air into head (where that hose connects) and air and a little water comes out the pisser and the exhaust.
After running on the hose we tried it again with no hose. It was pissing for a bit then no more. Minutes later it got too hot, the buzzer sounded and motor died. Seems like it squirted out all the hose water in the motor but isn't getting lake water. Although, at one point it was squirting muddy water (like in the lake, we were in a shallow area), I am so confused.
P.S. there are lots of weeds in lake Hopatcong. Could it be that simple? We pulled out a bunch from the port side, didn't get any from the stbd side.

I just don't get how water is supposed to get into the engine. Is it sucked in (vacuum) or forced in via jet pump? I don't even remember seeing the opening that the hose connects to at the pump area.

I just don't get how water is supposed to get into the engine. Is it sucked in (vacuum) or forced in via jet pump? I don't even remember seeing the opening that the hose connects to at the pump area.

It's forced by the pump, but does not "close" when you are stopped. The water hose on the engine head that flows in (based on the arrow pointing IN) should flow water freely when the boat is in the water and you move the hose below the water line.

With the boat in the water you should be able to disconnect the hose from the engine head and move/point lower into the bilge. a scary amount of water should start flowing and you should then freak out and reconnect to set it all back in place. If no water flow, something is plugged. Many times a bag or other sea crap can clog the holes and cause an engine overheat (Happened to me a twice before)

Also, maybe your OUT hole flow is plugged? water could come in but not leave after cooling the head, hence overheat? Others with more experience are sure to follow with more info.

Good Luck, almost there.

Thanks ialonso. Now I know the next thing to check.
The out flow hose is the one that comes off the head and connects to the exhaust/tuned pipe?

There are arrows on the barbs. There should be 2 hoses coming from boat stern to engine head. Look for the arrows by the hose connection. They will tell you which direction the water goes. The exhaust side seems to be IN, and the other side points back OUT on the 717. I suspect the others are the same but don't know for sure.

Have you had the heads of the engines at all? I recently stripped mine due to corrosion inside which was badly blocking the cooling system.

Actually on the stbd engine we replaced the cylinders an pistons and cleaned up the head while we had it apart.
I have to double check but I think it's happening to both engines. With everything going on I'm confused.
I remember the port engine wouldn't rev past 3500 rpms and stbd would rev up to 7000 but not move any faster on our way across the lake.
It was hot out, I was aggravated, we were trying to fix several different things.

Now I am replacing the starter and the bolt holes on the new starter are threaded, the old one looks like maybe the holes were drilled out. Is this what I need to do? It doesn't make sense that they are threaded.

Also when I pulled the old starter there was a little "chocolate milk" inside. Is that as bad as I think it is or is it OK because there is not a gasket or seal at the mounting flange? Or am I missing a gasket or O ring?
Edit: So there is an O ring on the old starter. I hope it's in good enough shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the starter holes in the block threaded? If not then the bolts go into the starter from the block insted of into the block from the starter

Block is threaded also. That's what doesn't make sense. The bolts go in from the starter to the block. I guess I have to drill out the starter holes.
Oh and the new one has an O ring.

Haha, that's the million dollar question....
Just my luck. I did a little more searching. It's the wrong freakin' starter. It's for a 787cc not a 720.:banghead:
I am getting soooo frustrated with this stinking hole in the water.
Thanks snikwad003 for making me look closer and finding my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back